How to Use the Neti Pot
Keep your nostrils clean to help minimize allergies, help your immune system and deepen your meditation practice.
Important Tips On How to Use the Neti Pot
People often tip their head down while doing the Neti so water will go up into the nose or down the back of the throat. Think of the Wood Labyrinth Game, you have to turn every thing just right to get the marble to go slowly in the right direction. Same with the water, keep the head more or less level to feel where your starting point it, then move the head accordingly to guide the water through to come out the other nostril. It is an odd feeling having the water come through your nostrils but the benefits are priceless.
- Neti Pot (plastic of ceramic)
- Salt (2 pinches)
- Nose Wash or Oil (one dropper)
- Room temperature, previous boiled water.
- Lean over your sink from the hips, keep the head mostly level (think marble) and place the Neti pot nozzle to go just inside the nose, not up the nose. (When are done and you go to do a down dog and water comes out the nose, you may have tipped your head and water went up)
- Do both nostrils (If you have a deviated septum, the water may not come out. You will need to start with just one side and work into the other side or do the Sutra Neti).
- After both nostrils, forceful exhale to get excess water and snot out of the nose.
- Place oil on pinky and put in both nostrils to lubricate the nasal canal.
- Do some simple stretching, pranayama and sit for meditation.
Learn more about BambooMoves Forest Hills here.