Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are a delicious and healthy vegan dish that combines the sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes with the savory flavors of black beans and spices. This recipe is easy to make and is perfect for those looking for a nutritious and flavorful meal that is high in fiber and plant-based protein.
Enchiladas are a traditional Mexican dish that typically consists of rolled tortillas filled with a meat or bean mixture and topped with a tomato-based sauce and cheese. This vegan version of enchiladas swaps the meat for sweet potatoes and black beans, making it a great option for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while black beans provide plant-based protein and are low in fat and calories. The addition of spices like ground cumin and smoked paprika add depth and flavor to the dish, making it a satisfying and delicious meal.
This Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas recipe is a healthy and nutritious alternative to traditional enchiladas, and is perfect for anyone looking to enjoy a flavorful and satisfying meal that is both delicious and good for the body.
(It serves 4-6 people.)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add the chopped onion and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potato, minced garlic, and chopped bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans, ground cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the beans are heated through.
- In a separate small saucepan, heat up the enchilada sauce over low heat.
- Assemble the enchiladas by spooning a few tablespoons of the sweet potato and black bean filling into the center of a corn tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam-side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour the heated enchilada sauce over the rolled-up tortillas, making sure to cover them completely.
- Sprinkle the vegan shredded cheese over the top of the enchiladas, if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas!
How Healthy Vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato?
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are a healthy and nutritious vegan meal that is rich in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Here are some of the health benefits of the main ingredients:
They are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins (especially vitamin A and C), and minerals (such as potassium and manganese). They also have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that may help prevent chronic diseases.
They are a good source of plant-based protein, dietary fiber, and complex carbohydrates. They also contain essential minerals like iron, magnesium, and potassium, and are low in fat and calories.
They are gluten-free and a good source of carbohydrates and dietary fiber. They also contain some essential vitamins and minerals like niacin, thiamine, and folate.
Depending on the brand or recipe, enchilada sauce can be a good source of vitamin C, lycopene, and antioxidants. It is also usually low in fat and calories.
Vegan Shredded Cheese:
If you choose to add vegan shredded cheese, it can provide some additional protein and calcium. However, it is important to note that vegan cheese substitutes can vary in their nutritional content and should be consumed in moderation.
Overall, this recipe is a healthy and balanced vegan meal that can help support a healthy lifestyle.
What is the right time to eat Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas?
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas can be enjoyed at any time of the day as part of a balanced meal. However, it is generally recommended to have this dish during lunch or dinner.
Since this recipe contains complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and protein, it can provide sustained energy throughout the day and help keep you full for longer. It is also a great meal option for vegetarians, vegans, or those looking to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet.
As with any meal, it is important to listen to your body and eat according to your hunger and fullness cues. Enjoy the Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas when you feel hungry and in need of a nutritious and satisfying meal.
In conclusion, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are a tasty and nutritious vegan dish that provides a perfect balance of complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe is easy to prepare and can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner by anyone looking for a satisfying and healthy meal.
With the sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes, the savory flavors of black beans and spices, and the tangy tomato-based enchilada sauce, this dish is a flavorful and delicious alternative to traditional enchiladas. Overall, this recipe is a great option for anyone looking to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet or for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.