It’s that much dreaded time of year again and I bet nearly everyone you know, is coughing, sneezing and so forth! If you are like most of us, you’re feeling as though you are inevitably the flu’s next victim. But ... Hey, not so fast! Maybe it’s time you take charge and show your body who’s boss?!?! With these simple tricks, you might just be able to beat the flu this year! Now, let’s get to it shall we?
- Stay hydrated! I am seriously though, this might seem extremely basic, but you would be surprised how many of us aren't getting our recommended daily in-take. H20 has a surprising amount of amazing benefits.
- Get your beauty sleep! Getting proper rest, (approx. six to eight hours) of good, solid, and uninterrupted sleep does wonders for your body and will help your body fight off any bugs that are going around.
- Hand sanitize! I simply can’t stress this enough! Before touching your face or eating, always and I mean it ALWAYS, wash and sanitize your hands first.
- Get outside when the sun is out! Natural vitamin D is on short supply this time of the year, so soak up those rays whenever you can!
- Dress appropriately for the weather. I understand that crop tops are highly in-style this year but, baring your midriffs in cold weather isn’t smart or sexy. If you live in a warm climate, then of course that is a totally different story.
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze, and cough into your sleeve (not your hand). If everyone was courteous enough to do this, there would be significantly less viruses being spread around.
- Don’t share drinks with others, not even your best friend. Just because someone doesn't appear sick, doesn’t mean that their body isn’t fighting something.
- If you are using a shared phone at the office or otherwise, wipe it down before and after each use. Also, do your best to avoid having you mouth come into direct contact with the telephone receiver.
- Public bathrooms are a breeding ground for germs, therefore avoid touching door handles and faucets, as much as possible.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Proper nutrition, will help your body build better immunity and ultimately keep you healthier.
- Make time to relax and de-stress, because your emotional and mental health directly affects your physical health also! Your mind, body and soul are all connected, therefore if you neglect any aspect of your self-care, it could have a negative domino-effect.
- Get your flu shot? I have mixed feelings on this topic, so I added this as an option. I have had very negative experiences with getting this vaccination, due to side effects. I always feel sick for several days afterwards. Due to this, the last couple of years, I opted out of getting the vaccine and found that I have been a lot healthier than previous years. I do not have scientific evidence to back up my experience and every person is different. Therefore, I will let you decide what is best for you.
- Avoid purchasing food that is unpackaged and left open, this is an absolute nightmare for germs.
- Exercise regularly and keep your body moving. This will help you stay healthy both inside and out.
- Get your blood tested, to find out if you have any vitamin deficiencies, this could lead to a compromised immune system.
- Be kind to yourself and be good your body. Listen to what it is telling you, because your body never lies!
Now that you have the basics covered, I will leave it in your capable hands to take the necessary precautions to help keep you and your loved ones healthy this winter.
Remember that your health is important, so don’t ignore your body. If your body is showing any warning signs, that something is wrong, listen to it! Early detection can be key to recovery and even save your life.