As convoluted as concepts of death and rebirth may seem, I promise it is gonna be pretty interesting to peel off this onion step by step to see what actually lies beyond.
We all know that Death is a part of life, and most of us are not really ready to accept it. The END is also a part of the journey. We are fearful of death; we are ignorant of it.
Are we ready to really accept it? NO, we aren't!! The very thought of it, makes us shiver like anything.
We can't even imagine someone close to us, passing away. But nevertheless, we need to understand what death really is.
If we could understand concepts like death itself, then though there will definitely be a sense of separation (in case the worst happens), you won't be morose about it. Both are actually pretty different things, a world apart.
For instance, if you meet someone during a journey, and had a blast with him/her, then after the journey comes to an end, you will feel that sense of separation but you won't be all gloomy about it. Saw the difference?
All right so, let me give it to you straight.
There is no such thing as "Death" in this world. Nobody really dies. Nothing CAN ever really die. Neither scientifically nor spiritually.
CHANGE is all there is, and we label that as DEATH.
Now before you burst on me, think about it for a sec.
When you boil water, does the water die? Or does it just become invisible to the human eye, as it converts into vapors?
Similarly, clouds form, and de-form, they don't die. It was water before it transformed into a cloud, and it will remain water only before it transforms again.
I am sure these talks will sound utter nonsense to most of us, because, well, the world doesn't talk about it. (Even I would have found it absolutely ridiculous 5 years back, so I can't really blame you.)
But can you deny anything I just mentioned till now? Can anyone challenge these facts in the world?
We say bodies die. But what actually is a body?
70% of our body is water. The remaining 30% are the bones, flesh, vitamins, and minerals which are formed/sustained out of the food we eat.
So, did the water run out? Are all the trees and crops bulldozed? Then how can we say the body died? It was all there before the body was formed and will remain long after the body has gone.
Like I said before, it is just changing its form. It is not really dying. The change is assigned with different names like death and birth. As simple as that.
I mean we all even celebrate our birthdays on the wrong date. Weren't you there 9 months before too?
We all have been trained from our childhood to hold on to the memories. Memories are a thing of the past. Your body, nature, flora, and fauna; are all constantly changing.
But we think that (at the level of memory) we are not changing. And because we have held this memory, we can't see what actually is going on in the present. This is why we are sad.
If you can hold on to the truth, then there actually is no reason to be sad.
Change is the only constant in this universe.
Once you understand the depth of this, you won't hold on to any form of something that is constantly changing.
You can't actually! But since we all make an unsuccessful attempt to hold on to it, we become miserable.
There is nothing we can hold on to, in reality. The moment you try and grab a cloud, it would have already changed its shape. But still, we defy this reality, and unnecessarily cling on to things, which becomes the root cause of our suffering.
What most of us think of meditation is that they have to sit like a statue for 20min, which is obviously not the real essence of meditation.
Understanding life in a precise manner is the real meaning of meditation.
How to do it? There are two ways.
One is getting hints from people who have already understood life pretty deeply. But don't just do it to cramp up your memory. Listen to those who lighten up your mind, and talk about reality instead of concepts like reincarnation and what not.
The other way is discovering it yourself. Once your mind becomes absolutely calm and composed, then try to understand by seeing things as it is.
But don't expect to get anything new if you start questioning things with some pre-conceived notions or your past beliefs. Even a scientist can't make a discovery this way. Keep all of your beliefs aside, and start looking with an open mind if you wanna discover something new.
You need to be prepared and have the courage to ask some difficult questions along the way.
Once our understanding develops, you will be able to overpower all your fears, including the fear of death itself.
All the confusions that keep on battering our pretty little brain will disappear. Spirituality is super fun, but only for those who are open-minded and can comprehend things just by looking at them without any filters in their mind.