33 Wonderful Winter Life Hacks
Stay warm with these brilliant little hacks!
Don't let the cold get the best of you. Use these life hacks and kick winter in the butt!
- Warm your clothes for the day by placing an electric blanket on top of them or sticking them in the dryer before you jump in the shower.
- Use kitty litter, cardboard, or the floor mats in your car to gain some traction for your wheels if your car ever gets stuck in the snow.
- Bake yourself lots of cookies and when you are done leave the oven door open, it will smell delicious and keep you warm!
- Don't forget to SALT your sidewalks and driveways.
- And if you run out of salt: mix one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, one tablespoon of rubbing alcohol, and half a gallon of hot water.
- Put plastic bags over your socks for immediate waterproofing.
- Or waterproof your canvas shoes with 3 easy steps.
- Stick old socks over your windshield wipers to prevent them from freezing to your window.
- Use a lighter to heat your car key if your lock becomes frozen.
- When it snows use an umbrella, because why not?!
- Put plastic bags over your car mirrors at night to prevent them from freezing over.
- The best way to get vitamin D is from the sun. However, in the winter you can’t get much of it, therefore, taking vitamin D which boosts your mood is a great way to avoid seasonal depression.
- Before you use your shovel spray it with non-stick cooking spray so the snow won't stick.
Give the gift of cozy with these DIY hand warmers.
- NEVER use hot water to melt the ice on your windows, it will shatter your windshield.
- Use an old credit card if you don't have an ice scraper.
- If you take shorter, lukewarm showers you will prevent your skin from drying out.
- Turn your ceiling fan on clockwise and on a low setting to push the heat back to floor level.
- Instead of blasting the heat, try lounging in sweatshirt and sweatpants. You will save plenty of money!
- Close the door for unused rooms to help contain the heat in one area or to keep the heat inside the room you are in.
- Broom light snow instead of shoveling.
- Spark up some candles to add heat and cut down the electric bill.
- A humidifier can help reduce the chance of nose bleeds and the overall discomfort from winter dryness.
- Give your bike some traction with this DIY Zip Tie Tire Trick.
- Wearing cotton gloves on your hands after you moisturize will lock the moisture into your skin.
- Save on energy by keeping a small refrigerator outside. You can keep your food cold without even plugging it in!
- Unless the sun is out, close your curtains to keep the heat in.
- Make DIY wool insoles for your boots to keep extra warm.
- If you are staying in snuggle up with an electric blanket. They actually use very little energy.
- Park your car facing east. That way the sun will do much of your snow removal work for you.
- Leave the door open when you shower and let the heat spread to your other rooms.
- Up-cycle your ugly Christmas sweater into DIY sweater mittens.
- Frozen door handles? hand sanitizer.
Pack your bags and head to Aruba! :)