The Ultimate Guide For Empaths To Avoid Narcissists
Seven Easy Proven Ways Empaths Can Protect themselves And Avoid Falling For Narcissists.
Are you truly ready to understand why you attract narcissists? Perhaps, maybe you’re even afraid that you’ll attract yet another narcissist and fear dating again.
Empaths are extremely sensitive, who tend to see the good in other people, the “higher-self” hidden within and often driven to unknowingly heal others.
A few possible reasons from early childhood that attach us to narcissists in future relationships are...
- your parents and adults around you didn’t model a positive relationship
- there was divorce, abandonment, a feeling of emotional neglect, and you were raised by a narcissistic parent
- You caught on early in life that for your survival, you couldn’t cry, get angry or show any displeasure or negative emotions.
- Ultimately these experiences taught you how to self abandon. Which eventually over time programmed you to become a people pleaser.
Why Do Empaths Often Attract Narcissists?
Empaths are "emotional sponges," who can absorb feelings from other people very easily. This makes it very easy for them to attract to narcissists, because they see someone who will fulfill their every need in a selfless way.
Typically, the Empath more often than not believes (subconsciously) that they are duly obligated to heal and help the narcissist, so they pour themselves into showing the narcissist love and empathy. This is because empaths have a lot of devotion and understanding to give to the narcissist. while narcissists thrive on someone worshipping them.
Narcissists are known for lacking compassion or having a severe lack of empathy for others. So knowing what your up against is vital.
"Recognizing that you're an empath is the first step in taking charge of your emotions instead of constantly drowning in them,” Dr. Judith Orloff says.
The best way for Empaths to protect themself from a narcissist is to become better educated in the many signs or red flags that repeat itself more often than not.
- Identify the consistent red flags- Often times the red flags are there but....we ignore red flags because we are afraid they are telling the true, painful story. We may ask questions of our partner about their behavior and receive answers, but we leave the answers alone even if they don't quite fit. Often, we don't want to know the truth.
- Keep setting boundaries- Boundary pushing for the narcissist is intentional, they want to get a reaction out of you. Anytime you react, it lets them know they are still in control. But if you want to protect yourself as an empath, you will need to keep setting boundaries.
- Don't take the Bait- Empaths and narcssists are drawn to one another like a moth to a flame. Both are in need of the other and neither realize it at first or ever. There is a ceratin supply that each party is searching for whether they know it or not.
- Withdraw your energy supply- Narcissist needs one or more human targets as sources of supply. When you withdraw your supply from narcissists something that they are hooked on, it they experience emotions such as boredom, irritability, panic, and/or rage. These withdrawal symptoms, can be compared to an addiction or a dependency on energy received from other people.
- Increase your self esteem level- I know this may seem hard to accept. But having high self esteem means knowing your worth and part of that is knowing what you shouldn't accept from anyone.
- Put yourself first- In any relationship, you have to look after yourself. Although We’ve been conditioned to believe that putting ourselves first is ‘selfish’. Prioritizing your needs does not mean you’re disregarding others feelings and needs. Putting yourself first is crucial for having balance in your life and in your relationships.
- Protect your energy- Creating an awareness of your emotions is the first step to protecting your energy. Draw a line beyond which you simply can’t extend yourself is a powerful protective measure.
The dangerous toxicity between Empaths and Narcissists
Both are in need of the other and neither realize it at first or ever. There is a ceratin supply that each party is searching for whether they know it or not.
Ways To Avoid Attracting Narcissists
- Don't tolerate inappropriate behavior.
- Narcissists like to mistreat their partner and then play the victim.
- Be assertive and definitely learn to set boundaries
- Practice saying no. Trust me it helps with setting boundaries and protecting your energy.
It's very important to set firm boundaries and understand that the narcissist will try to push and test these limits
The relationship between a empath and a narcissist when in love is the most toxic thing that can possibly happen.
In order to figure something out, one must figure out the initial cause or the root of the matter and then you can go forward and find a possible solution. People who are most attractive to narcissists have experienced trauma in their lives but learned empathy,
As their bond grows in the relationship, the empath will find it unbearable to see the narcissist hurt or in any kind of pain. They will do their best to assess the issue and try to talk to them, help them, cheer them up and ultimately try to solve it…
They tend to do whatever it takes so they can feel better again even at their own expense. They subconsciously want to “fix” the narcissist, or at least change their lives. But the narcissist never sees any issue within themself and the Empath gets drained in the process and is left feeling helpless for caring so deeply for the one they love. In the end it is proven that you can only be respsonsible for the changes that you want to see happen.
About the Creator
Silena Le Beau
She expresses her gift of writing through each piece. She studied writing in college and has been inspiring people for 20 years. She gives back to the community & enriches them with enlightenment. Philanthropist, Empath and Nature lover.
There are no comments for this story
Be the first to respond and start the conversation.