I had created a list of writing prompts for the month of December. You can check that post out here. I finished this post up and realized it was worth sharing now.
I had quite a bad year this year. Not as challenging as 2021 was for me but it was still a battle.
So after some reflection, I thought back to what the year 2023 taught me. And when I say it was chalked full of lessons and blessings for me, I truly mean that.
What the Year 2023 Taught Me
- Don't get attached to temporary people. Not everyone you meet is meant to stay in your life. I learnt that lesson pretty hard with some people this past year. I met a lot of cool people while drinking on the weekends after working in the bar, but trust me when I say that their opinions of me don't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things. As long as I have my couple good people in my life and my kids love me for who I am, then I am richer than most people. Love is something that money cannot buy.
- This one falls in line with the first one as well... Don't wear your heart on your sleeve for the wrong people. Sometimes the people you gossip with also gossip about you. 2023 was the year that I learnt that lesson really painfully with my favourite coworker. I think some people are consistently committed to misunderstanding you and that is completely okay. You can love people at a distance and decide that you want nothing to do with them.
- Don't be afraid to fall on your face. Just watch who helps pick you back up at the end of the day. I had a hard time back in March last year, I was suicidal and barely alive. I just straight up dreaded everything. Leaving the house, going to work, taking my kids to school. I didn't want to be alive. All I looked forward to was drinking my face off on the weekends. I fell on my face. But I managed to get back up, with some help of course. I moved into a new space, I started dating the man of my dreams, I got news I was expecting again and I healed from my past relationship trauma. I am so proud of how I picked the pieces of my life back up because trust me, they look better rearranged this way now.
- Don't care what people think, just learn how to be happy again. As long as what you're doing doesn't harm others, forever choose happiness and inner peace. As long as you have that, nobody can fuck your life up.
- Spend time with the people you love and the ones that love you because life is just too damn short to spend being unhappy. I lost my godmother this past year and it felt like a hole was ripped out of my chest after she was gone. I realized after she was gone, that she was more of my mom than my own mother ever was. I miss her larger than life personality, her kind spirit, and her words of wisdom. Cherish the ones you love for as long as you can. There's this quote out there that goes, " Be the things you love most about the person who is gone." and I think about that quite often since she passed.
- Be honest with your mistakes. If you can be honest with someone and say, "Hey, I fucked up and I'm sorry for it." then you are worth more than you think.
- Practice self-care. Make a ritual of falling in love with yourself. If you don't like yourself than how can you expect other people to like you?
- Gratitude. This falls back to what I wrote about my godmother passing away. I was being selfish for feeling suicidal. I know I was. Hell, I'm only twenty-five years old and my poor aunt was fifty-nine when she passed away. I woke the fuck up. I needed to be grateful for being alive instead of being my miserable, ankward self and dreading life. I started writing down things daily to be grateful for, cherishing my life more, and just falling in love with being happy again. Am I always happy? No. Am I doing better than I was last year? Yes. I am grateful for the experiences that life has given me because it shaped me into the person I am today and that's a pretty cool gift if you ask me.
This is all I can think of at the moment. This year changed me in the best ways possible through all the challenges I was given. My little family and I would love to wish all of you nothing but the best in the year 2024. I sincerely hope it is a year filled with nothing but blessings for you all.
Chloe Rose Violet 🌹