What do you listen to?
Tell me your favorites, I've already shared mine
This morning as I was driving my youngest to school, I was surfing through my radio presets and started to wonder what everyone liked to listen to while driving (or just riding along). Since I have an older vehicle that lacks bluetooth hookup to my phone, I generally listen to satellite radio channels (which I have to pay extra for...boo).
I do enjoy the variety of channels I'm able to choose from and periodically go through and find new ones. Overall, I think my current choices are a nice variety , but I'll let you decide.
* * *
1) Hits 1 - This is probably the channel I like the least but for some reason I always keep it, go figure. As suggested, they play today's number one hits. They tend to be mostly pop with some other genres thrown in there. I just like to keep current so I have some idea what my kids are talking about, hahaha. Also they play Ed Sheeran songs, and he's one of my favorite artists (and I get to see him in concert again this year!!). Huh, I guess that's why I probably keep it around.
2) The Pulse - Also a pop channel but they'll play some new and old. I like the variety and tend to gravitate to this channel pretty frequently. The show hosts are also enjoyable without being obnoxious. My favorite is when Pat Monahan (from the band Train) does his weekly, weekend show. (Incidentally, my incoming call ring tone is Soul Sister.) He always introduces me to either new upcoming artists, or songs by well-known bands that I've never heard before.
3) PopRocks - This channel features rock songs from the 90's-2000's that were big hits. There are always so many great songs that I've forgotten about that come back to life when I tune in to this one from groups like Matchbox Twenty, Imagine Dragons, Kings of Leon, blink-182, Green Day and Killers (another of my favorites...Mr. Brightside used to be my ringtone except I had to change it as I wanted to rock out and not answer the call, lol). The list goes on and on. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the variety.
4) Real Jazz - Not gonna lie, I've only recently become more of a fan of jazz through my son (the one I dropped off at school) as he's in a jazz band this year as a percussionist. Whenever he's in the car with me, this channel is on. I know all jazz enthusiasts are clutching their chests as I reveal that I've not always been appreciative of the genre, but I've tended to gravitate towards classical music with a heavy piano and/or violin presence. BUT before I start getting hate mail, the music is starting to grow on me. Sometimes I even wait to change the channel once he gets out of the car :)
5) The 10s Spot - Just like it probably sounds, this channel highlights pop music from the 2010's. This is a preset that I often change. I like that these songs are still relevant and that I know a lot, but they're also not all for me. I tend to switch this preset to channels like The Bridge which features laid-back classic rock, or 1st Wave which has a classic alternative feel. It's also the one that gets the boot when the Christmas music channels are on. Whatever your thoughts are on when to listen to holiday music, know that it makes me extremely happy. And a happy me is always a better me :)
6) 80's on 8 - It's a fun, nostalgic channel we can all agree on in the car when I can have upwards of 5-6 other people with me. The downside of course is that I know most of the words to all the songs, and I do not hesitate to sing along. Ahh, being able to embarrass your kids with poorly sung music is one of the joys of parenthood! I'm not sure how you couldn't love this channel, whether you're a child of the 80's like me or not. There's something for everyone.
* * *
Well, that about wraps it up. I have no idea if this was interesting or not, but I had fun writing it. I'd love for you to share in the comments some of your own favorites.
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed this piece, please take a look at some of my other musings:
Excellent work. Looking forward to reading more!
Expert insights and opinions
Arguments were carefully researched and presented
Heartfelt and relatable
The story invoked strong personal emotions
Original narrative & well developed characters
Niche topic & fresh perspectives
On-point and relevant
Writing reflected the title & theme
Easy to read and follow
Well-structured & engaging content
Zero grammar & spelling mistakes
Compelling and original writing
Creative use of language & vocab
I enjoyed reading it!
Congratulations Heather! 😁❤
I only listen to my curated phone lineup in the car. One daughter likes Stromae. My husband likes Stevie Wonder. But the rest-Ladino music, Japanese pop, Kenny Baron, covers of Neil Young songs, G-Dragon and Chopin I have to myself.
If I'm on my own I listen to my super eclectic channels on Pandora on mix. I love that I can go from hip hop to classic rock to some of the new artist I enjoy. If my kids are in the car we play rotating DJ. They have introduced me to some interesting stuff. My oldest loves all things parody and funny. My next one loves kpop the third loved European historical rock, i don't know what else to call it. Heavy metal ish songs about historical events. And my youngest has two loves Irish pub music and brat pack crooners. Honestly I don't love all of their music but I always love that they share it with me so I just go with it.
Congratulations on being Top Story, Heather! I had fun reading this 💕🙂
80's on 8 love it.... we probably have similar taste , one channel I have is the Blues. so many variations . But that is me. Congratulations
It was very interesting!! Unfortunately, maybe its because I'm a millenial, I don't even know how to surf the radio in my old car :( My favorites were 98.3 in NJ and 99.1. But I really have not listened to them in a long time!! Love this tho!!
Congrats on the Top Story. I also listen to many different kinds of music and have found they all have something to offer. Good music is just that. If it's good it's good no matter the style.
Driving goes smooth when you play and listen to an alltime list numbers that keep the bugs at bay
Congratulations on Top Story Heather:) Happy to come across your take on car music. :D
In our present day and age, we're heavily focused on being in control of every single aspect. We rarely allow ourselves to be taken by surprise. But once in a while, why not listen to the radio and see what it has in store for you? It could be a pleasant surprise.
My car can't hook up to bluetooth either, lol! Out of the channels you listen to, I'd definitely enjoy Hits 1, The Pulse and The 10s Spot. I'm not really a fan of Rock or Jazz. I'm Pop all the way, lol. Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne are my main favourites! I also prefer songs that are more to heartbreak and anger rather than happy love songs, lol!
Fun read! I also listen to the radio in the morning… I do have blue tooth but for some reason it won’t hook up to my car and I’m too lazy to try to fix it. I always tune into this one station at the time they are doing thing called “Bay Area Cheaters” where they pretend to be a florist offering to send a free boquet to someone of their choice with their significant other secretly on the phone listening… they alwaya end up sending it to someone else and get caught 🥲 Damn, I love me some good early morning drama, LOL
I love my YouTube playlist lol but I love jazz too! And I like country at times and I like rap Umm I like a lot of music, but mainly opera. Anyway, cool top story!!! I love your sharing style
Ed Sheeran is impossible to not like! Catchy! ❤️
Your piece has a set a positive vibe! You've got us all here nattering away about our favourite musical genre's - the feels are good!. (I like everything except the stuff i don't.)
I am a big fan of jazz... But not the jazz most people think of. I like hard bop, free form, avant garde, and fusion. I'm also a fan of '80s new wave and Post punk and '70s pop and classic rock. But I'm really a fan of pretty much every era I like a lot from the 40s I love a lot from the 50s the '60s with the Beatles The Doors and Diana Ross and The Supremes. A lot of great music.
Wel done on Top Story!
Congratulations on your Top Story
Congrats on top story Heather!:) I listen to today's music and also classic hip-hop!
Interesting, Heather. Congratulations for your Top Story 🥰