Facts About Alcohol You Didn't Know
While you may know a few things about drinking, prepare to be stunned by the wealth of information no one ever told you about alcohol.
Many people feel they have a good grasp on the various elements of alcohol after just buying one drink, as if that somehow makes you know every aspect of the drinking world. However, while many know that alcohol makes you drunk, most people seem to know only that.
That alcohol makes you drunk is only the peak of the iceberg. There remains legions of information under the surface that many have yet to explore. While you may know a few things about drinking, prepare to be stunned by the wealth of information no one ever told you about alcohol.
- The world's strongest beer is Brewmeister's Snake Venom, which contains 67.5 ABV!
- In Sweden, only the government is allowed to sell alcohol.
- Many European high schools offer alcohol to students.
- The world's most popular alcoholic beverage--by a large margin--is vodka.
- Abraham Lincoln held a liquor license.
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk in Ohio.
- The word brandy derives from the Dutch word for burnt wine (brandewijn).
- Some French vineyards are so special, employees must scrape the soil off their shoes before leaving.
- Real tequila does not have a worm in it. That's a trait for "mezcal," a lower quality version of the real tequila.
- A pint of beer, a glass of wine, and a shot of vodka all contain the same amount of alcohol.
- Adolf Hitler didn't drink.
- Winston Churchill drank a lot.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty glass of alcohol.
- Viking drank alcohol from the fragmented skulls of their enemies.
- Japanese doctors have discovered that, in certain people with abnormally high levels of yeast, a person's body can produce enough alcohol to make themselves drunk.
- In Alaska, it is illegal to serve a moose beer.
- The average Czech drinks forty gallons of beer every year. They are by far the biggest beer drinkers in the world.
- Cambodians drink Tarantula brandy, a cocktail of rice liquor and dead tarantula body.
- The penalty for wearing underwear under your kilt in Scotland is a fee of two beers.
- Every year in the United States, 5,000 underaged individuals die in alcohol related incidents.
- People with more muscle have a higher tolerance than someone the same weight with more fat.
- 90 pounds of pressure per square inch builds up behind a champagne cork. That's the same pressure found in car tires.
- Billionaire Vodka costs 3.75 million dollars. It is filtered through ice, Nordic charcoal, and then sand made by crushed gems.
- At any given moment, fifty million people are drunk worldwide.
- The US has the highest drinking age in the world. Other places will give you alcohol if you're as young as 16.
- Most fruits and veggies contain a small amount of alcohol.
- Stone Age jugs contain residue of alcohol within them. People have been fermenting stuff since before civilization.
- Any ship that passes through the Tower of London must offer a barrel of rum as tribute.
- Cocktails became a thing during the Prohibition... to hide how bad the alcohol tasted.
- Alcohol isn't just on earth. Astronomers have found alcohol in space, too.