Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
The thing about sweet potatoes is I always forget how much I love them until I eat them. Somewhere in my mind I think sweet potatoes are just okay but then I eat some and think where have you been all my life.
Part of why my mind is stuck on sweet potatoes being only okay when they are actually very delicious could be because of what I hassle I find cooking the sweet potatoes to be. I find sweet potatoes awkward to cook and the peel thick and hard to remove.
All of this has changed with using the Instant Pot to cook the sweet potatoes. That's right, another win for the Instant Pot, has it ever lost?
The Instant Pot makes cooking the sweet potatoes so simple and removing the skin a breeze that I would almost call it a life hack. But let's face it, the Instant Pot on it's own is practically a life hack with how easy it makes cooking.
This recipe is really just the basics of cooking the sweet potatoes, of course other things can be add to them such as butter or other seasonings or spices. This was really just to let everyone know the right settings and time limits. In the future perhaps I will get into some different recipes using the sweet potatoes such as some delicious salads or some vegan mock pulled pork sandwiches using the sweet potatoes. The sky is the limit with these delicious sweet potatoes.
At the end of the cooking time there will still be water left in the Instant Pot. This is normal as the water was just added to help cook the sweet potatoes. This can easily be drained out.
When my sweet potatoes were finished cooking and cooled down enough to be touched, I drained the water out of the Instant Pot and then peeled the sweet potatoes, the peel practically fell off of the sweet potatoes. I then proceeded to mash them inside of the Instant Pot. This outlines how wonderful the Instant Pot is as only one pot is used to make this meal which makes clean up a breeze. My boyfriend even volunteers to do the dishes with how few pots and pans there are while using the Instant Pot.
The lesson I learned while using my Instant Pot to cook these sweet potatoes is to not let the hassle of cooking dictate which foods I love. There will always be different ways to make cooking easier. It's communities like these where tips and advice can be shared that makes cooking fun and easy and makes my love for food grow bigger and bigger everyday.
On to the recipe. I hope that everyone enjoys it.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of water
- Pour the cup of water into the Instant Pot
- Place the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, please make sure that they don't go over the max fill line
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and ensure that the seal is closed
- Set Manual Pressure for 18 minutes
- Let the sweet potatoes cook until the timer goes off
- When the timer goes off let the pressure naturally release, that means leave the sweet potatoes in the pot with the warming function on until all of the pressure has left the pot naturally, do not open the pressure seal.
- When the pressure is relieved from the Instant Pot and you are able to open it up remove the sweet potatoes
- Let cool down as they will be extremely hot