Last night, I was trying to come up with a great side dish to go with my meal. I wanted something delicious that would also pair nicely with a lot of different things as I like to bring leftovers to work in my lunch. I instantly thought of rice. It takes virtually no time to cook in the Instant Pot and can be made very simply so it would pair well with a number of different foods.
My first thought was that a spicy rice would be delicious, as I had been in the mood for tacos for awhile, that way I could use some taco seasoning in my rice to get the taste of the tacos but without having to go out and buy necessary taco ingredients.
Now, I don't generally keep a lot of prepackaged spice mixes on hand such as those pre-made taco or gravy mixes so I would have to mix these taco season with spices that I have on hand. Luckily, my boyfriend has a huge spice rack and doesn't mind when I borrow from it as long as I feed him my creation. The spiciness of your rice can also very depending on your tastes, I prefer a little more spice than other members of my family so I would add a bit more red pepper flakes if it were just for me but this version is a more mild spice that can easily be enjoyed by everyone.
The basis for Instant Pot rice is very easy. I find that for how much rice you put in, you must double the water content. For example, I used one cup of rice therefore I would use two cups of water. If I were using two cups of rice it would be four cups of water and so on. Using the Instant Pot to cook rice has become one of my favourite ways to use the device, as I did not have a rice cooker beforehand and had to cook the rice on the stovetop which would take a long time and a lot of effort.
Though I did make this rice as I had a hankering for tacos, I never did pair it with tacos but as I said this rice could easily be paired well with many different things. But don't take my word for it, create this delicious rice and see for yourself.
- 1 Cup of Rice
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon of Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons of Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- Pour water into Instant Pot.
- Pour rice into Instant Pot.
- Add the butter.
- Add the garlic powder to the Instant Pot.
- Add the onion powder to the Instant Pot.
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes to the Instant Pot.
- Add the paprika to the Instant Pot.
- Add the oregano to the Instant Pot.
- Add the ground cumin to the Instant Pot.
- Add the black pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Add the salt to the Instant Pot.
- Stir the contents of the Instant Pot to ensure that the spices are well mixed.
- Close Instant Pot and set on "Manual Pressure" for eight minutes, please ensure that the steam valve is closed so that the pot may fully come to pressure, note the Instant Pot will take a few minutes to become pressurized.
- When time is done manually release the steam valve.
- When steam is done releasing open the Instant Pot and stir the rice.