Hello my little lovelies!
So today I have a simple recipe for you that you can essentially make into anything you like. I've been using this recipe years but I've tweaked it a little bit to make it slightly healthier since I'm trying to eat healthier. I normally add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to make it richer and creamier but for this recipe I used coconut milk. The tomato is so strong you don't even taste the coconut and it is absolutely delicious! Now for this I put in black beans and corn but you don't have to I just like the combo a lot. I also put steak in this for protein but you can add whatever protein source you want. If you're vegan you can just make the sauce itself and just put in the pasta. Meat or no meat this sauce is delicious! This dish can also handle some heat so if you want to spice it up, add some red pepper flakes to the sauce to finish it or add chili pepper when you cook the onions and garlic. Now with the coconut milk in the sauce it should even out the acidity of the tomato sauce but if you like a sweet sauce, add in a couple tablespoons of sugar. I used to do that but I've cut a lot of sugar out of my diet.
So this recipe is from my kitchen to yours and I hope you guys enjoy it.
So let's get started!
The things you will need:
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound of steak, cut into thin strips
- Olive oil
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 regular can of tomato sauce
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Sugar, if the tomato sauce is too acidic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of cooked pasta
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onions. Let those cook until they start to get fragrant then add in the garlic.
- Once the onions and garlic start to smell heavenly, go ahead and add in your steak. Since the steak is cut into thin strips, they should cook pretty quickly. Add in salt and pepper if necessary. I just put in a few cracks of pepper since I'm trying to cut down on my sodium intake.
- When the steak is mostly browned, add in the tomato paste and let the heat thin it out so its easier for it to go around. Stir frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Once the tomato paste is thinned out, go ahead and add in the tomato sauce. After that add the coconut milk and stir it all up until everything is incorporated.
- Once everything is incorporated, add in the pasta and stir everything together. This is where I added the black beans and corn but again it's optional if you don't want to put it in there.
- Taste the sauce. This is the time to adjust the seasoning to your taste. I'm trying to cut down on my sodium so I didn't really add any salt in it but I did add a little bit of cayenne to give it a little kick.
- Put the pasta on a simmer so that the sauce can reduce since there's a lot of liquid in it. If you like your pasta loose go right on ahead and put it in your meal prep container but if you like a thick spaghetti sauce, then let it reduce. Let me know how it is!
Until next time!