Chickpea and Cashew Coconut Curry
A meat free, creamy, mild curry packed with goodness.
Curry is one of the ultimate comfort foods in the world and it's not hard to see why. Its one of the most diverse dishes around because it can be customised and recreated in many different ways. 9 out of 10 times it’s a tikka masala for me because I’m a wimp with spice, but there are SO many different ones out there it's insane!
My go-to recipe is more of a korma style curry as its creamy, mild but still packed with flavour. I always go for a curry with chicken as the protein but more and more lately I’ve been making vegetable-based ones and once you give this one a try you’ll understand why. Its such an awesome way of getting plenty of nutrients into your body in one simple, quick and easy dish. The sauce that you’ll make is super versatile for any curry combination so let me know if you make your own creation!
The thick and creamy coconut milk based sauce, coating chunky vegetables and cashews with a simple basmati rice is awesome! And the sandwich thin to add some crunch just makes it even better.
Let's get started…
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 tin of chickpeas (Drained)
- 1 tin of light coconut milk
- 1 small handful of cashew nuts
- 1 small handful of green beans
- 1 small handful of chopped baby corn
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp korma curry spice
- 1/2 tsp tikka curry spice
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli flakes
- 1 bag microwavable basmati rice
- 2 wholemeal sandwich thins
- Olive oil.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large wok to a medium heat.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the baby corn, green beans, cashews, salt/pepper and spices, and simmer until the curry starts to thicken.
- When it is just before your desired consistency, microwave the rice for 2 minutes and toast the sandwich thin in a toaster.
- Turn off the heat when your desired consistency is reached and then get ready to plate up.
- For this, I used a coconut bowl made from half a coconut (weird I know), but any bowl will do. Place half of the rice in the bowl in one side and some of the creamy curry in the other.
- Cut the sandwich thin into strips and stick them into the bowl.
- Add some extra chili flakes and parsley to garnish and get stuck in!
This creamy curry is insanely easy to make and even easier to eat. The spice mix and coconut milk is always my base to all curries because it just gives the best results. If you want a creamy curry but want to spice it up, I recommend adding some chili oil and chili flakes as a garnish, the chili oil really makes your lips tingle so be careful! Or even add some fresh chilies into the actual curry itself to spice it up even further!
This curry literally cooks in minutes and is such a great way of getting some goodness into your body. A lot of kids these days spend their day eating absolute garbage, so a big pot of mild, creamy curry packed with healthy vegetables, nuts, fats and micronutrients is just what they will need!
Please let me know if you give this recipe a go and tag me on Instagram when you do! (@jtrfitfood). Let me know any variations you make or what other combinations you come up with!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!