Of all the characters I have ever loved from film, TV, book, stage, or song, some of my favorites have been witches. Kind witches like Glinda or her nemesis the Wicked Witch of the West. From everyday witches like Samantha from Bewitched to the Wayward Sisters of Macbeth. Good witches, bad witches, literary witches or real witches, witches and witchery in fiction fascinate me. I have even ventured to offer my own interpretations of what it is to be a witch. I have added some links below.
There are so many unofficial challenges currently on offer on Vocal, who needs another? Well, none of them (that I have seen) have featured witches as their MC so I am suggesting this one to anyone who is interested. I am offering the princely sum of $10 to the winner, plus $5 for 2nd place, $2 third and $1 to each of three runners up, paid by me as a tip. In the event that there are no, or fewer than six, entries I'll keep the unwanted greenbacks and put them to good use, you need not doubt.
$10 for the winner, plus $5, $2, $1 for runners up
Anyone interested? Please comment or like, if you are, and please feel free to say what you think of this challenge or let me know if you have had enough of Vocal creators taking such liberties. It's just a thought and I put it out there to see what other people think of it.
Rules? Who needs 'em. Write what you will and be as creative as you like. If it helps, I would suggest the following general guidelines. Please feel free to ignore them if they constrain your creativity. However, if you do decide to enter, by doing so you agree that (a) I am not entering into a binding contract with you or anyone else on this and (b) the judge's decision (me) will be final in all matters relating to the challenge.
Here's what I am looking for:
Write a story, poem, song, any approach, any genre, theme, trope you like. Write a complete short story or a chapter from a yet-to-be written book. Write six words, six hundred or more. All I am asking is that you imagine a new and original character who is a witch.
Does that make sense? Oh, what do I mean by a witch?
A witch for this purpose can be any fictional character (made up by you) who uses magic, casts spells, weaves witchcraft in any way, shape or form. It might be a good witch or a bad witch, or just a plain, ordinary human who is capable of either or both. It could be someone who dabbles in devilry or a doer of do-goodery, a modern day pagan, wiccan, herbalist or crystallographer. A child of Artemis or Daughter of Damona. Male, female, non-binary, human or alien, perhaps even an AI? Just use your imagination and make as many references to literary/cinema or historical witches as you like.
Still not sure how to write a witch? Well you could always read my article about how to write witches and witchery. It might give you a steer.
Oh yeah, you wanted to see some guidelines. Here's what I would suggest but feel free to take your own path.
- Write in any style and genre as long as one of the main characters is a witch
- What constitutes a witch is entirely down to you. Please feel free to follow any of the suggestions in this article or to wend your own witchy way
- You are a witch or know some witches? Great! Write from experience
- Word count? Up to you. Write as many or as few words as you like, subject to any limits that may be imposed by Vocal.
- Post in Fiction, Poets or wherever you think best, as long as you remember to add a link to comments in this post.
- Deadline for the comp: WITCHES HOUR! WITCHES NIGHT!
- So just to be clear, please submit your entry by midnight on the night of October 31st, 2023 - All Saints' Eve (Hallowe'en) 00:00 UTC. If you are not sure what UTC is.... really? You have had exactly 25 years (today Sept 27) to work out how to use Google if you don't know.
- To enter, post your story on Vocal in the usual way, and add a link in comments here.
- Judging will be entirely informal and based on likes and shout-outs and mutual reviews, hugs and back-slaps. So please like and comment on your favorite stories. Please also shout out the ones you like in comments here.
Please share a link to this awards page with your facebook or other writers' groups. The more people participating the more the fun!
- If there is a clear leader on likes, they get the $10. If it's too close to call, I will extend the deadline and suggest a short list to allow votes (likes) to be transferred.
- This is a fun exercise so please have fun and please do comment here on stories you have read and witchy characters you like. Share the love and please keep comments positive and encouraging. If you read something you don't like, please move on and find something you do and let us all know about it and why you like it.
- Copyright of course always remains with the original author (unless assigned by them) and please acknowledge any sources, including if you have used a Chat app like GPT.
- If I have missed anything out here, of if you have any suggestions, please let me know and I will revise as need be.
- Did I say HAVE FUN!!!
Thanks for reading. Good fortune for this challenge if you choose to join in and I will look forward to reading any entries. Here are some of my witchy stories for those who are interested.
The witches’ granddaughters
Just published and based on a true story. Though you may find this hard to believe. Not for the squeamish! The witches’ granddaughters
Hope you enjoy my little witchy tale. Just for fun. Love to read yours!
Vocal has followed my lead and launched its own witchy challenge. Do take a look and please feel free to post your entry to both challenges. To do this, your story will need to meet the criteria for each of the challenges, that is:
- Have a strong central witch as main character for this challenge
- Meet the given criteria for Vocal's Under a spell challenge
About the Creator
Author based in Kent, England. A writer of fictional short stories in a wide range of genres, he has been a non-fiction writer since the 1980s. Non-fiction subjects include art, history, technology, business, law, and the human condition.
Excellent work. Looking forward to reading more!