Longevity logo

Possible complications of central serous choroiditis

by tasica campbell about a year ago in advice
Report Story

Heads up on this!

central serous choroidopathy

The following article is a very personal and intimate experience and does not assume in any way that what is expressed in these lines can be a constant applicable to all people who experience this type of condition, having said that, and clarifying that I am not a professional in ophthalmology . I would like to share a few lines about a very personal experience with a condition that until 2015 I had no idea of ​​its existence, a condition that I never believed could affect in such a way and reduce the health of one of the people I love the most. in this world. -my husband-

I hope that this article, to some extent, can contribute or be of use to those who are experiencing a condition similar to the one related below :.

By 2015 and at just 37 years old, my husband enjoyed quite privileged health, his life had always been active not only because of his profession but also because of his level of attachment and good habit for physical activity. A regular week for him consisted of jogging 10 kilometers 3 to 4 times, swimming 5 km 3 times a week, and the inevitable! gym, where my husband could spend about an hour and a half exercising with weights.

Anyway, as you can see, he was very active, however and due to his type A personality, he had a tendency to exaggerate certain behaviors, which a priori we believed could not have any kind of repercussions, unfortunately, we were wrong! Since at the end of March 2015, after returning from a family vacation, my husband found a scotoma or cloudiness in his central vision of the left eye, which and after a few days turned into something that he referred to as : “Seeing through a drop of water”, which is why and without delay we decided to visit an ophthalmologist.

At the specialist doctor's office, and after some tests, my husband was diagnosed with central serous choroiditis, which and according to the doctor informed us, is a very typical ophthalmological condition in individuals with type A personality, and that many of the Sometimes it would subside on its own in a few weeks or months.

This is where the problem really arose - in thinking that my husband's condition was going to remit without complications after some time and without the need for medication as the ophthalmologist had indicated. Unfortunately the picture never remitted, on the contrary it became much more complex, my husband's central vision had been greatly diminished, the objects were deformed, he had a spot that was in the central vision of the left eye that was It was getting bigger and more opaque, that is when we decided to consult with another specialist who, after performing several examinations, came to the conclusion that the central serous choroiditis no longer existed, but that it had transformed into a choroidal neovascularization which and if not treated immediately, it would detach the retina and lead to total blindness

Fortunately, that ophthalmologist doctor affirmed that although it is true that central serous choroiditis can remit on its own and without the need for medication, it is necessary to maintain a constant monitoring of its progress.

Finally, and after a treatment which consisted of injecting a pharmacological agent into the affected eye, my husband was able to recover 95% of his vision, leaving 5% that had become a scar which was already irreversible.

So from now on, please make sure you do not trust the first physician you go to, always go for a second or even third opinion

advice

About the author

tasica campbell

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights

Comments

There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

Sign in to comment

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2022 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.