With his fierce make-up, double-bladed lightsaber and physical agility, Darth Maul is easily one of the most memorable characters in the Star Wars universe.
Despite having limited screen time and sparse dialogue in Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (1999), the sinister yet charismatic Sith Lord became a big fan favorite. Portrayed by Ray Park and voiced by Peter Serafinowicz, Darth Maul's exhilarating 1-against-2 duel with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi is still highly rated by fans till this day as one of the Top 3 lightsaber fights in the Skywalker Saga.
When Maul made a cameo appearance in 2018’s Solo: A Star Wars Story—again played by Park but voiced by Sam Witwer—some fans were shunned as they thought Darth Sidious’ apprentice was long dead, having been sliced in half by Kenobi in The Phantom Menace. Followers of Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2014), however, knew of the dark lord’s miraculous return from the dead and his lifelong obsession to kill Kenobi since the show's season four. His stints as crime syndicate boss and leader of the Mandalorian Death Watch were also covered in a four-part comic book series, Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir (2014), whilst his final encounter with Kenobi and eventual demise (which take place prior to events in A New Hope) were canonized in Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018).
With the iconic villain back in the limelight thanks to the long-awaited The Clone Wars: Season 7 (2020), here’s 15 of Darth Maul’s most memorable quotes from Star Wars films and animated shows (in timeline order):
Darth Maul’s 15 Most Memorable Quotes From ‘Star Wars’
1. “At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.”
—to Darth Sidious, after his Master assigns him to hunt down Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi in the desert planet Tatooine in Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
2. “Revenge. I must have revenge.”
—to Savage Opress, when his older brother finds him (a decade after the events in Naboo), slightly unhinged and with a mechanical spider-like lower body, on the junkyard planet Lotho Minor in The Clone Wars Season 4 Episode 21, “Brothers.”
3. “In a galaxy at war, Savage, there is only one way to get the attention of the Jedi: Slaughter of the innocent, mercilessly and without compromise.”
—to Savage, before proceeding to massacre the human colonists of the forested planet Raydonia alongside his brother in order to lure Kenobi to seek him out in The Clone Wars Season 4 Episode 22, “Revenge.”
4. “You may have forgotten me, but I will never forget you! You cannot imagine the depths I would go to to stay alive, fuelled by my singular hatred for you!”
—to Kenobi, upon meeting the Jedi Master for the first time since their fateful duel on Naboo in The Clone Wars Season 4 Episode 22, “Revenge.”
5. “Let him drown in his misery. Take him to his cell to rot.”
—to Savage, when his brother asks if Kenobi is to be killed after Maul assassinates Mandalorian leader Duchess Satine, the woman the Jedi Master secretly loves and who died in his arms, in The Clone Wars Season 5 Episode 16, “The Lawless.”
6. “I was hoping for Kenobi… Why are you here?”
—to Ahsoka Tano, upset to see the ex-Jedi Padawan facing him instead of his arch enemy prior to the Siege of Mandalore in The Clone Wars Season 7 Episode 9, “Old Friends Not Forgotten.”
7. “Every choice you have made… has led you to this moment.”
—to Ahsoka, as he urges Anakin Skywalker’s former apprentice to join him in defeating Darth Sidious in The Clone Wars Season 7 Episode 10, “The Phantom Apprentice.”
8. “He is the key to everything… To destroy… He has long been groomed for his role… as my Master’s new apprentice.”
—again to Ahsoka, when she asks why Maul is so interested in her former Master, Anakin Skywalker, in The Clone Wars Season 7 Episode 10, “The Phantom Apprentice.”
9. “You’re all going to burn! We’re all going to die! You know not what you’re doing!”
—to Ahsoka and the clone troopers upon his capture by them, upset that his warnings—that the Jedi Order and the Republic will be annihilated by Darth Sidious—are falling on deaf ears in The Clone Wars Season 7 Episode 10, “The Phantom Apprentice.”
10. “Qi’ra, you and I will be working much more closely from now on.”
—(as Crimson Dawn's kingpin) to Qi’ra, summoning the crime syndicate’s top lieutenant–and young Han Solo’s childhood love–to meet with him in Dathomir after she informs him that her boss Dryden Vos has been murdered in Solo: A Star Wars Story. (This sequel-baiting line is but just one reason why some fans are campaigning to #MakeSolo2Happen.)
11. “The Sith… The Sith took everything from me. Ripped me from my mother’s arms, murdered my brother, used me as a weapon, and then cast me aside. Abandoned me! Once I had power, now I have nothing. Nothing.”
—(as Old Master/Maul) to Ezra Bridger, when the ex-Sith meets the young Padawan of Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus in an ancient Sith Temple in Malachor in Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Episode 20/21, “Twilight of the Apprentice.”
12. “Formerly Darth, now just Maul.”
—to Seventh Sister, when the Imperial Inquisitor remarks that rumors regarding Darth Maul being alive are indeed true in Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Episode 20/21, “Twilight of the Apprentice.”
13. “He lives… He lives!”
—gleefully muttering to himself, after he and Ezra successfully opened both the Jedi and Sith Holocrons which reveal that lifelong adversary Kenobi is still very much alive (despite Order 66) in Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Episode 3, “The Holocrons of Fate.”
14. “Of course. It ends where it began. A desert planet with twin suns.”
—speaking aloud to himself, after using Nightsister magic on Dathomir to learn the exact location of where Kenobi is hiding in Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Episode 11, “Visions & Voices.” (After 2019’s The Rise of Skywalker, this quote now holds true for the entire Skywalker Saga!)
15. “He will avenge us.”
—to Kenobi, after being told by the older and wiser Jedi Master that the person he’s protecting in Tatooine (ie, Luke Skywalker) is indeed The Chosen One, before dying in his arch rival's arms in Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Episode 20, “Twin Sons.”
All Star Wars films, including animated and live action TV series, are streaming on Disney+.
- 12 Hits and Misses From ‘Star Wars: Episode I–The Phantom Menace’
- Obi-Wan Kenobi’s 15 Most Iconic Quotes from 'Star Wars'
- Han Solo’s 15 Most Iconic Quotes from ‘Star Wars’
- The 15 Coolest Easter Eggs in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
- Emilia Clarke’s Qi’ra – What We Know of the Enigmatic Character in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’