Best 'Dune' Movie Quotes
Epic sci-fi film, 'Dune,' rocked the science fiction world in 1984 and the best 'Dune' movie quotes have lived on long since the movie's release.
Dune is one of the most influential sci-fi series of all time. The book series inspired both television shows and movies. In fact, one of the most influential movies that was never shown in theaters was a film based on Dune.
The Dune movies that did come out ended up being incredibly popular among sci-fi fans, and there's good reason for it. They were brilliantly written, filled with visually stunning scenes, and had characters that were truly three-dimensional in personality.
The excellent characters and massive plot twists have made Dune, which has influenced many other sci-fi films, rich with amazing quotes. We decided to put together a list of the best Dune movie quotes for fans, those curious about the movies, and sci-fi aficionados of all walks of life.
Paul Atreides is, in almost every way, the main star of the Dune series — movies included. He's the one who is affected by the spice, he's Muad'Dib, he's the last of the Dune: House Atreides and the leader of The Fremen. He's basically the one who brings the entire story into action by birth alone.
Considering everything, it's not surprising that he's had a slew of the best Dune movie quotes in the franchise. It'd actually be strange if he didn't.
- "Remember: Walk without rhythm and we won't attract the worm. It will go to the thumper." - Paul Atreides
- "I'm dead to everyone unless I try to become what I may be." - Paul Atreides
- "Just as individuals are born, mature, breed, and die, so do societies and civilizations and governments." - Muad'Dib
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." - Paul Atreides
"My name is a killing word." - Paul Atreides
"He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing." - Paul Atreides
The Bene Gesserit are a group of female nuns in the Dune world. This group of elite women had a major hand in human evolution, as well as in the political evolution of the people of Arrakis. As such, they've provided plenty of wisdom over the years — and were speakers of some of the best Dune movie quotes ever said.
- "When religion and politics ride in the same cart, the whirlwind follows." - Bene Gesserit Axiom
- "Show me a completely smooth operation and I will show you someone who is covering mistakes... real boats rock." - Darwi Odrade
- "We tend to become like the worst in those we oppose." - Bene Gesserit Coda
Others In The House Of Atreides
Because Dune is such a heavily character-involved movie, it's hard to simply square everything away to a handful of royals and Fremen. Though they may have only been supporting characters, there were a number of folks in the Dune: House of Atreides that definitely dropped some of the best Dune movie quotes - and book ever.
Since the Dune: House of Atreides doesn't really seem to get as much attention as it should, we included some quotes from the books, too.
- "It is human to have your soul brought to a crisis you did not anticipate." - Leto II Atreides
- "I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." - Leto Atreides I
- "The slow blade penetrates the shield." - Gurney Halleck
- "Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work." - Gurney Halleck
"Respect for the truth is the basis for all morality. Something cannot emerge from nothing." - Leto Atreides I
- "Here I am, here I remain!" - Leto Atreides I
Various Dune Characters
Not all of the best quotes come from the Dune: House of Atriedes. Some come from other main characters, such as Vladimir Harkonnen. Others come from fellow Fremen. Even more come from minor characters. If they only had one or two good quotes, we decided to still include them in this list — under this umbrella.
- "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." - Piter De Vries
- "I must not let my passion interfere with my reason. That is not good. That is bad." - Piter De Vries
- "The Spice must flow." - Baron Harkonnen
- "He who controls the Spice, controls the universe!" - Baron Harkonnen