How to Get It Perfect for Serving and Taste!
In a world where meat and potatoes are what's wanted for dinner, it's easy to toy with ingredients. I observed many people make things their way and finally I have the chance to share the way I do things! Nobody quite listens to me as they think I am too young to know what I am talking about. Well, guess what? I grew up on meat and potatoes so I'm sure I know a thing or two.
I was a "meatatarian" as I described it as a child. I loved meat things. I didn't quite understand my love for the meat things but I grew out of obsession and now consume a healthier amount, in healthier ways. I don't buy from brands or big consumer companies. I buy local, and I save a ton while saving my own insides too. Our bodies get certain vitamins and nutrients from meat that they can't get from alternatives. It's good to know what your body needs as you can plan out what is best for you! We don't eat meat every night, but when we do we like to balance it out with other healthy options.
One of the most desired dishes by my siblings and I when we were much younger was meatloaf. Since I have grown up, many people tell me it is a traditional dish that older generations just love, and a lot of people eat it as a comfort food too. I learned from my father to make a base recipe, and since then have transformed it into my own moist, flavorful, sturdy masterpiece! He really is the one to thank though as if I had not first learned from him, I would not be writing to you now ;)
- 1 lb of ground beef (The best beef comes from a local butcher who buys from local sources of well cared for cattle. It's worth it to do your research :)
- 1-2 eggs (or some sort of mayo substitute)
- 1-2 cups of shredded or broken up bread or breadcrumbs.
- 1 cup of chopped green and white onion.
- 4 oz of ketchup or 2 oz of hot sauce for a bite!
- 1/2-1 cup of shredded or diced carrot for bulk.
- Put the raw ground beef in a large enough mixing bowl and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the eggs and bread. Mix with your hands for maximum mixture of ingredients.
- Throw in the veggies and ketchup or hot sauce (please note you can save this to smear on the top, or you do not have to use this ingredient at all to make this taste delicious. It is a preference we as a family have :)
- Line your loaf pan with cooking spray or butter and fill it with your mixture. If you saved your hot sauce, slather that loveliness on there!
- Shove it in the oven and wait about half an hour before checking on it. Depending on the amount of ingredients that are in it, it may take longer to cook. Ours takes exactly 40-45 minutes every time.
The more veggies or little extra things you put in here the more you end up with in the end. Be sure not to overdo it, though. It is quite easy to do so and overpower the meat. It is still meatloaf for those who still can't quite get the grasp on vegetarianism.
It's a super simple dinner you can make for just one person on a budget and they will definitely have leftovers. Or, if you're someone who likes to entertain with home-cooked meals, this is the perfect warm and comfy dish for those who enjoy a slice of the old days!
Share and enjoy! <3
About the author
An Eclectic soul. Finding passion in art, healing and spirituality in many forms. From food to stones, mental awareness to growth and development. I am on a journey of truth, discovery and ascension, and i would like you to join me <3 !