How To Bake A Perfect Cake
The secret recipe for soft and fluffy cake and basic tips on how to bake a perfect cake
What makes cake so delicious? Cake is delicious because of all the stuff that goes into the bowl. Baking a cake is not difficult but can be quite tricky. Whether you have baking skills or not, you do not have to be a professional baker to bake a perfect cake.
History of cake
Cakes have been around since ancient times. The earliest cakes were bread-like and sweetened with honey. Food historians have found that ancient Egyptians were the first civilization to show baking skills.
It wasn't until the 19th century that modern style cakes began appearing in Europe. They were made for all kinds of occasions.
The very first cake mixes were invented during the Great Depression to make it easy for people to get easily made food. General Mills produced many cake mix flavors (Sutori.com, 2020).
Tips for baking a cake
1. The most obvious tip is to follow the recipe and steps
2. Assemble ingredients and ensure their correct temperature
3. Use accurate measurement
Accurate measuring is everything. Measurement is the difference between a light fluffy cake and a dense cake. Most recipes measure ingredients by volume, not weight. To measure ingredients, you need three types of measuring tools: a clear measuring cup with a spout for wet ingredients, cups with flat rims in graduated sizes for dry ingredients and a set of measuring spoons. However, weight measurements are the most accurate and are commonly used in cookbooks.
4. Use the right flour (cake flour)
Cake flour is made from soft wheat, milled extra fine. It contains the lowest amount of protein compared to other flour.
Batter made with cake flour requires more liquid.
Cake flour distributes fats evenly resulting in fewer clumps.
5. Preheat the oven 20 minutes before baking the cake
6. Use the correct baking pan
7. Don't open the oven door too early
Opening the oven before the batter is set can cause the cake to sink
8. Allow the cake to cool down
Vanilla cake recipe
• 3 large eggs
• 1/4 butter (57 grams)
• 1/2 milk (113.4 grams)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder (4.2 grams)
• 1/2 sugar (113.4 grams)
• 2 teaspoons vanilla essence (8.4 grams)
• 1/2 cake flour (113.4 grams)
• Stand mixer or hand mixer
• Silicone or rubber spatula
• Round cake pan
• Measuring spoons
• Measuring jug
• Mixing bowls
• Baking paper
1. Gather all ingredients
2. Let all ingredients come to room temperature
3. Preheat the oven to 180c.
4. Boil water on medium heat and place a bowl on top then add the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Keep stirring and check using a food thermometer till reaches 40.1.
5. Remove the bowl from the boiling water and use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the eggs, until a thick and fluffy mixture forms.
6. Sift the cake flour to the eggs and set aside.
7. Combine the butter and milk then add to the mixture.
8. Use a rubber spatula to combine the butter and milk to the mixture by lifting them gently up and over each other. This folding technique preserves the air that has been carefully whipped into the eggs.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden and the cake tester comes out clean.
10. Allow the cake to cool down for about 15 minutes
11. Dust the cake with icing sugar, apply frosting or have it plain.
Enjoy delicious, soft and fluffy cake