Criminal logo

Venomous Relationships

Venomous Relationships

By Johnny SixPublished 2 months ago 3 min read

Audrey Marie Hilly was found on February 26, 1987, in a state of confusion and covered in mud in a backyard near Anniston, Alabama. The final individual she had contact with before losing consciousness was Police Lieutenant Gary Carroll. She was discovered in the yard, with her hair wet from the mud and her clothes completely soaked. Carroll recollected, "I called out to her, and she opened her eyes briefly and looked at me before rolling them back. To the best of my knowledge, that was her last moment of being conscious." Marie, as she was commonly referred to, passed away from hypothermia three hours later.

Marie Hilly was not a victim at all; she possessed charm, attractiveness, sociability, and friendliness, likely due to her sociopathic tendencies. Born Audrey Marie Fraser in 1933, Marie was the only child of Huey and Lucille. Despite her parents' modest means, Marie never lacked anything. She married her high school sweetheart, Frank Hilly, in 1951 while he was on leave from the Navy. Frank was an average, hardworking family man.

With the news of Marie's pregnancy and the impending arrival of their first child, Mike, Frank made the decision to retire from his service in the Navy, leading the couple to settle down in Anniston. By 1960, their daughter Carol came into the world, and Frank managed to secure employment in the shipping department of a foundry, while Marie embarked on a career as an executive secretary. However, Marie developed an appetite for a luxurious way of life that was beyond her financial capabilities, socializing with the affluent businessmen of the city.

The burden of Marie's costly desires placed immense strain on their marriage, creating a significant amount of pressure. Frank, seeking support, confided in his son, Mike, about Marie's affair, which only heightened the tensions within their household. Frank had been battling stomach issues for many years, and in May 1975, his health took a sudden and drastic turn. Sadly, he passed away, leaving Marie to collect the insurance money. As time went on, Marie frequently reported incidents to the police, but doubts began to arise regarding the credibility of her claims.

Other residents in the neighborhood recounted comparable incidents, leading Lieutenant Carroll to grow suspicious of Marie. During a visit to Anniston, Marie's son, Mike, became sick after breakfast, raising concerns of poisoning. Furthermore, Marie had purchased life insurance policies for both herself and her daughter, Carol, who became seriously ill in 1979. Subsequently, it was revealed that Carol had been poisoned with arsenic.

Marie found herself under arrest for attempted murder, prompting further investigations that uncovered a series of insurance fraud and poisoning incidents. The indictment against her included charges for the murder of her husband and the attempted murder of her daughter. Marie's trial garnered substantial interest from the community, resulting in a large influx of spectators at the courthouse. Despite her unwavering belief in her own innocence, Marie was ultimately convicted due to the overwhelming weight of circumstantial evidence.

Marie was sentenced to life imprisonment for the crime of murder, and an additional 20 years for her attempted murder charge. However, to everyone's surprise, she was granted a furlough to visit her husband, despite serving less than four years of her sentence. Tragically, Marie took advantage of this opportunity to escape, but her freedom was short-lived. She was discovered lifeless, having succumbed to the elements, just a few days later. Meanwhile, in Australia, the unfolding story of Yvonne Gladys Fletcher captured attention.

In the post-World War II era in Sydney, Australia, Yvonne Gladys Fletcher grappled with her own challenges. Born in 1922, she was a widow with two children residing in an urban area affected by the war's aftermath. Yvonne's remarriage led to a violent relationship, prompting her to seek aid from authorities who provided limited support.

Yvonne's tolerance for abuse diminished, causing her husbands to suffer from illnesses. Bertram Bluey Fletcher, her second spouse, exhibited signs of thallium poisoning and passed away. Suspicion grew when it was revealed that he had been poisoned, similar to what happened to Yvonne's initial husband, Desmond Butler.

Following the manifestation of thallium poisoning symptoms, Desmond also fell sick and eventually succumbed to death. Yvonne was taken into custody and accused of murdering both of her husbands. During the trial, her troubled relationships and the recurring pattern of poisoning were brought to light.

Yvonne's case captured the attention of the public, but the sentencing failed to provide the much-needed closure for the families of her victims. Despite receiving a life sentence, she was eventually released after serving 15 years. The poisoning incidents shocked society, shedding light on the intricate dynamics of domestic violence and the desire for retribution.

Yvonne's narrative, similar to Marie's, illuminates the negative outcomes of toxic relationships and the extreme actions individuals may take in order to break free or seek justice


About the Creator

Johnny Six

I'm a devoted stay-at-home mom, passionate about alternative education and homeschooling. My daughter is my focus, and together, we explore various hobbies,cooking, art, nature, reading, and music.

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights


There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

Sign in to comment

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2024 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.