10 Ways to Maintain a Long-Distance Friendship
The Best Ways to Keep a Friendship Even Though You're Thousands of Miles Away
Long distance friendship isn’t easy, but it can also make your bond stronger. Recently, my best friend transferred to a different college in another country. This transition hasn’t been easy as we went from being glued together at the hip to now being thousands of miles away. If you are in the same boat as us, here are some ways to maintain an everlasting long-distance friendship.
- Accept the situation: I won’t lie, I wasn’t very accepting of the situation at first. I knew that this was the best thing for her education, but I was selfish in wanting her to stay. Of course I miss her, but as time when on, I became more accepting of the situation. Instead, I want to assure her that I am always there for her no matter the distance.
- Video chat often: I’ll be honest, my best friend and I talk almost every day for hours on end, but they always end up being my favorite part of the day. Whether we are talking about all the things that have been going on in your life or just being there enjoying each others presence, it is important to make time to video chat as often as possible.
- Try to keep up on each other’s life: Everyday we send each other text messages about what is going on in our life. This allows us to feel like we are a part of each other’s life even though we aren’t actually there in person.
- Remember the good ‘ol times: My best friend and I always reminisce on all the good ‘ol times like what brought us together, the times we studied together, and even the pranks we pulled on professors.
- Get meals together: There are times where we will both eat a meal together while we are talking on a video chat. When we were together, we ate almost every meal together, so getting a meal together through a video screen reminds us of those times.
- Send each other letters, gifts, or packages: We don’t have the money to be sending a ton of gifts, but even little, meaningful gifts mean a lot. My best friend sent me tiger socks because she knew I loved tigers. Furthermore, I had a fruit basket delivered to her and her family when they were going through a rough time. It’s the thought that counts and makes them feel loved.
- Keep their timezone saved in your phone: The time difference between my friend and I is 10 and a half hours. Therefore, I keep her timezone saved in my phone so I don’t try to call her when it’s the middle of the night.
- Send pictures to each other: Don’t worry about sending mundane photos to each other. Sharing photos and videos is an easy way to update each other on what’s going on in your life.
- Make future plans to visit each other: We’re both in college so we don’t have a ton of money to go see each other, but just the thought of visiting each other gives us hope and excitement. Therefore, we constantly are trying to figure out ways to make enough money to visit each other or to take a trip somewhere new.
- Dream about your future: We always talk about our future goals that we want to achieve. We dream of one day living in the same country with both of our families while making millions in our careers. Go after your dreams and hopefully they will come true.
It is important to remember that even though your best friend might be thousands of miles away, that doesn’t mean you can’t be friends anymore. Of course, you both will go on to make new friends, but as long as you make the time to stay in touch, you will keep your friendship alive.