The 10 Best Quotes From 'The Phantom Menace'
What's Your Favorite 'Phantom Menace' Quote?
One of the most endearing qualities of Star Wars is how quotable the movies and series are (some more than others to be sure). Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, although unfairly maligned at the time of it's release, is no exception to this. As such, presented here for your consideration, are ten of the best quotes from the film, presented in chronological order.
1. "Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again!" (Darth Sidious)
The mysterious shrouded figure, seemingly directing the actions of the Trade Federation's unusually aggressive blockade against Naboo, was not happy with some of the more cowardly Neimoidian underlings, whom are ready to throw in the towel on the blockade the moment the Jedi show up.
2. "You were right about one thing, Master. The negotiations were short." (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
While in hiding from the Trade Federation on their ship after an assassination attempt, Obi-Wan wryly notes that Qui-Gon turned out to be right about negotiations with the Trade Federation, albeit clearly not in the way that Qui-Gon originally believed.
3. "That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way." (Qui-Gon Jinn)
Qui-Gon, having landed on Naboo with the Trade Federation army, encounters a native Gungan; Jar-Jar Binks. Qui-Gon and his apprentice try to seek assistance from the Gungan so that they can warn the Naboo about the danger the Trade Federation poses to the planet and its inhabitants.
4. "If they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces, and blast us into oblivion." (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
And if Qui-Gon's warning wasn't heavy-handed enough, Obi-Wan drives the point home. Ewan McGregor seems to be heavily channeling the late Sir Alec Guinness here in his portrayal of Obi-Wan.
5. "This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!" (Nute Gunray)
The Jedi, Queen of Naboo, and a small group of her advisers and security manage to escape the Trade Federation blockade of Naboo, forcing Darth Sidious to bring in his apprentice, Darth Maul. Understandably, this unnerves the Neimoidians.
6. "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have our revenge." (Darth Maul)
Sidious' Sith apprentice, Darth Maul, has only one moment of dialogue in this film, and it is one of the best lines of all.
7. "Mom, you said that the biggest problem in the galaxy is that no one helps each other." (Anakin Skywalker)
Young Anakin Skywalker decides he wants to race in the upcoming Boonta Eve Podrace in order to help the Jedi and the Queen get their ship fixed. This highlights the inherent light and goodness of Anakin Skywalker, as well as the wisdom of his mother, Shmi.
8. "I will sign no treaty, Senator. My fate will be no different than that of our people." (Padme Amidala)
Padme courageously informs Senator Palpatine that she isn't just going to sit back and allow the Trade Federation occupation of Naboo to continue.
9. "Wipe them out, all of them." (Darth Sidious)
Darth Sidious orders the death of the Jedi, Queen Amidala, and their allies upon the heroes return to Naboo, to free it from the Trade Federation.
10. "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." (Yoda)
Jedi Masters Yoda and Mace Windu contemplate the identity of the mysterious Sith Warrior that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon encountered and who killed Qui-Gon during their duel on Naboo. This also introduces a key element of Sith lore into Star Wars canon; the Rule of Two.
It's always hard to limit these articles to a specific number of great quotes, so here a few additional quotes that I feel are also worth mentioning:
"Now, this is podracing! (Anakin Skywalker)"
"Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not!" (Yoda)
"There's always a bigger fish." (Qui-Gon Jinn)
"I will make it legal!" (Darth Sidious)
Written by Mara Butler
Syndicated from Culture Slate