My Favorite DIY Coffee Scrub
Easy and Cheap DIY Coffee Scrub
If you're like me, then you are an all natural kind of gal. I stopped using harsh soaps and chemicals on my skin and started researching into all natural and cost-effective facial treatments that I could make with the ingredients already in my kitchen.
Today, I am going to go over my new favorite DIY coffee scrub. I have always been hesitant of scrubs because of how abrasive and harsh they can be to the skin, BUT I also have a dry skin problem. So I needed something that was gentle, but that could also exfoliate my skin. And so far, this has been my favorite. Feel free to tweak the recipe a little bit to your liking. You can also add essential oils to it to give it a nice scent (like lavender, calendula, or neroli oil). But here is my recipe:
- 1/2 cup ground coffee
- 1/2 cup raw virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup white or brown sugar
- 3 fish oil vitamins (optional) I break open the fish oil vitamin capsules and put them in because of the amazing benefits fish oil has for your skin, but this is optional
- Any essential oil you would like for scent (tea tree oil is also a favorite and is great for your skin)
Mix all the ingredients together in a container (use a container with a lid because you will have some left over and you don't want it to go to waste).How to apply:
- dampen your clean face
- put a little bit of the scrub onto your finger and in circular motions start rubbing it all around your face-- repeat this step a couple times until the scrub has exfoliated all of your face
- with warm water start to wash the scrub off until you have a clean, but now super soft, face
You're all done! Easy peasy!
How and why it works:Coffee is a strong antioxidant, therefore it can do wonders for your skin. In my experience, it helps to brighten and even out my skin tone and get all the dead skin off my face. Coffee is also known to help the appearance of wrinkles. The coconut oil helps to moisturize the skin as you exfoliate, coconut oil has been used in the beauty field for a very long time because of its anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. The sugar is optional to use, I just put it in so that I have two different types of exfoliants working together (Plus, I always put sugar with my coffee, old habits die hard, I guess). And then fish oil is great to use to hydrate your skin and has many other health benefits. I recommend taking fish oil by mouth daily, but you can also break the capsule and add it to your coffee scrub. As for the essential oils, I do not add any to my coffee scrub, but essential oils have tons of benefits for your skin and can also add a nice smell to your scrub. But it's totally optional. :)
Exfoliation is only recommended about once a week, so the mixture you have left should be able to last you a couple months.
I hope you enjoy this DIY coffee scrub as much as I have enjoyed it, and I also hope it provides the benefits to your skin that it has provided to mine. Thanks for reading! :)