Report on Day 2 of 2020 Republican National Convention
I didn't watch much of the First Night of the 2020 Republican National Convention on Monday. I made up for that by watching just about all of the Second Night of the convention last night. Here's what I saw and heard: lies.
- Lies from Senator Rand Paul, who praised Trump for bringing home our troops. The truth: Trump has brought home no troops, as far anyone in the public knows or the press has reported. I've been against overseas American military involvement since Vietnam. Trump has done nothing to reduce that.
- Lies from from Director of the U. S. National Economic Council Larry Kudlow, who said that Biden wants to raise everyone's taxes. The truth: Biden only wants to raises taxes on people who earn more than $400,000. That leaves me out. What about you?
- Lies from former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, who said the Chinese Communist Party "covered up" the deadly COVID-19 virus. The truth: No evidence for that. Although the Chinese government may not has been as helpful as they could have been in alerting the world to COVID-19, Chinese scientists were the first to publicly let the world know about the deadly disease.
- Lies from Eric Trump (Donald Trump's son), who said Biden will raise taxes on over 80% of Americans. See what I pointed out about Kudlow above, and do the arithmetic: those in America who earn more than $400,000 a year are a small fraction of the American people, not 80%. Ok, I did the math: those earning more than $400,000 a year are in the top 1%.
- Lies from Melania Trump, First Lady, who said Donald Trump "loves" this country. I don't believe that. I think the truth is that Trump loves only himself. But I'm willing to acknowledge that this is a difference of opinion, not an outright lie. So perhaps, technically, Melania Trump didn't lie last night.
But even if Melania Trump didn't actually lie, she would be the only one of the speakers mentioned above. That's a very poor percentage for truth in what we heard last night.