Poets logo

Poem: "The Mind of Someone With ADD"

by DEUXQANE! about a year ago in slam poetry
Report Story

Sleep is just a gamble to feel okay when you wake up.

Poem: "The Mind of Someone With ADD"
Photo by Max Bender on Unsplash

It's 4am on a Saturday morning.

I'm rudely spurned from sleep by dehydration,

and after quenching my thirst,

I am forced awake,

because... that's what happens.

I drink water, and I wake up.

I'm 21 floors up in the air

and I am lost in thought about

digging my heels in a

concrete jungle

with unfavorable weather.

I don't dream much.

Sleep to me is the equivalent

of willingly being knocked

unconscious for hours

only to wake up

gambling to feel okay afterward.

I think I must be dying.

A pain, sharp as a jolt, travels

like lightning in my nerves

and life, what I knew to be a marathon

has a finish line that I'm seeing

just way, way too early to be okay with.

But I get gentler reminders too.

A dull ache forces me to be aware of my finitude

and every anxious moment

feels like a speeding car

exhilarating, yet

dangerous.

I am definitely alive.

I remember the ghost whose hands

moved my hair over my ears

at the first gasp of smoke.

The detachment I felt from others

having my first migraine.

The high of running five miles in record time.

And bittersweet betrayal

I called, yet still didn't see coming.

Where was I?

It's 5am in a midtown apartment.

The air is colder and the windows

aren't so open to fatal mistakes.

But I know now how it feels

to have clouds at your feet,

comfortable and surreal.

Something about it makes me wonder

if I'd ever let myself be as angry

knowing I could have something good

at a moment's notice.

slam poetry

About the author

DEUXQANE!

93% of communication is non-verbal. Here is the other 7%.

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights

Comments

There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

Sign in to comment

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2022 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.