Electric scooters are a practical and fun way to get around. Whether you’re a student commuting to classes, an adult looking for a way to get to work or a family trying to find a fun way to get around town, electric scooters are the perfect solution. But with so many models and features, it can be hard to know where to start. That’s why we’ve created the Ultimate Guide to Buying an Electric Scooter.
This guide will cover everything you need to know about buying an electric scooter, from what features to look for, to how to choose the right model for your needs, to the best places to buy. So, if you’re considering buying an electric scooter, this guide has all the tips and tricks you need to make the best purchase.
What to look for when buying an electric scooter
Before you head out to your nearest dealer to buy your electric scooter, there are a few things you should look for. We’ve outlined some of the most important in this section.
Different types of electric scooters
Electric scooters come in a variety of different models, shapes, and sizes. When you’re looking at buying an electric scooter, it’s important to know what you’re getting.
- Twist and Go Scooters: Twist and Go scooters are typically battery-powered, meaning you don’t have to pedal them. You simply twist the throttle and go, which makes them easy to use. Twist and Go scooters are typically limited in terms of top speed but are great for getting around town.
- Pedelec Scooters: Pedelec scooters are the most popular type of electric scooter. They have an integrated electric motor that you pedal with a throttle. Pedelec scooters typically have one or more speeds and can reach speeds up to 25mph, depending on the model. They’re best suited to trail riding, where you’re looking to explore longer distances.
Features to consider before buying an electric scooter
When you’re shopping around for an electric scooter, it helps to have an idea of what you’re looking for. This can help you narrow down your choices and find the perfect model for your needs.
- Budget: The budget you have for buying an electric scooter will heavily affect the options you’re given. If you have a specific budget in mind, this can help narrow down your choices and make it easier to find the perfect scooter.
- Weight Cap: Some models have weight limits, which can make them less suitable for smaller riders. These limits are usually between 80 and 110 pounds, depending on the model.
- Drivetrain: The drivetrain of an electric scooter determines how it’s driven. Both push and pull chain drivetrains are available, as well as belt drives. Push-chain drivetrains have a series of sprockets that rotate as you pedal, while pull chain drivetrains rely on human power to move metal chains that turn the wheels. Belt drives are quieter and cleaner, but can be harder to pedal in.
How to choose the right model for your needs
When you’re shopping around for an electric scooter, it can be hard to know what you’re looking for. This is especially true if you’re not familiar with the types of scooters and their features. When you’re choosing an electric scooter, it helps to know what you’re looking for. This can help you narrow down your choices and find the perfect model for your needs.
- Distance: The first thing you need to consider when choosing an electric scooter is the distance you’ll be riding. This will help you decide which scooter will best suit your needs.
- Trail Riding: If you’re looking to explore longer distances with your scooter, you’ll want to look for a model with a pedal assist drivetrain, or a pedal assist motor. This can help you cover longer distances without breaking a sweat.
- City Riding: If you’re mostly looking to get around town, you can get by with a smaller, lighter scooter. These scooters are great for short trips and aren’t too heavy for a shorter stroll.
Tips for finding the best deals
When you’re looking to buy an electric scooter, it can be tempting to focus on the latest and greatest models. But, while these are great fun, they can be expensive. That’s why it’s important to look for deals on older models. You may even be able to find a scooter that was discontinued or returned. When you’re shopping around for the best deals, it can help to keep a few key things in mind. These include the following.
- Check the price tag. Before you head out to buy your electric scooter, make sure you know what you’re paying. This can help you find the best deal and avoid paying too much.
- Check the manufacturer. Because many models are discontinued, it may be worth checking the manufacturer’s website to see if there are any discontinued models that you can buy. This can help you find a cheap model that still has a good deal to it.
- Buy in bulk. Many scooter manufacturers offer group buys and promotions for buying in large quantities. This can help you get a great deal on a cheap model, while also being able to sell it once you’ve used it.
- Shop around. It can be tempting to buy from your local dealer, but it’s worth shopping around for the best deal. This can help you find the best deal on a cheaper model or even get a better deal on shipping.
How to maintain your electric scooter
Maintaining your scooter is essential to keeping it running smoothly and safely. Without regular maintenance, your scooter will not only become uncomfortable to ride, it could also pose a danger to you and others on the road.
- Clean your scooter after every ride. Dust is a scooter killer. It will build up on your scooter, eventually causing it to stop working properly. So, after every ride, take a rag and wipe down the body and wheels.
- Scrub the chain periodically. It’s a good idea to regularly clean your chain, which will help prevent it from becoming rusted, which can cause your scooter to stop working.
- Inspect the brakes periodically. Brakes are a vital safety feature on a scooter and should be inspected every few weeks to make sure they’re working properly.
Safety tips for riding an electric scooter
When riding your scooter, it’s important to remember that it’s a vehicle, just like a motorcycle. This means it’s important to follow the same rules of the road that apply to motorbikes. Following these safety tips can help keep you and others on the road safe.
- Wear a helmet
- Make sure the scooter is in good working condition before using it
- Follow local traffic laws and regulations
- Use caution when riding on wet surfaces
- Do not exceed the maximum speed limit
- Avoid riding in congested areas
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Ride in designated areas
- Do not ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol
There is a lot to consider, and picking out an electric scooter off the shelf when you aren't sure what to choose can be tricky. It can feel a bit like a minefield when purchasing an electric scooter for your children or as a gift if you have no idea where to begin; hopefully, the information in the aforementioned advice will be helpful.