I don't know if you've heard but there's a film called Avengers: Endgame coming out and some people are absolutely excited to see it. To them, it’s the most important thing they'll ever watch. Sorry fanboys and girls, I am not one of those people. I haven’t even seen Infinity War.
I don’t hate superheroes or superhero movies. In fact, I used to love them—I used to get really excited when a new film came out, but now, I think, no thanks, I'll wait until it streams on Now TV. And even then I usually can't be bothered. I have got superhero movie fatigue. I don't know how or when it happened, but I do. Maybe I’ve had too much of a good thing—variety is the spice of life, after all.
Every time I hear that a new superhero movie is coming out I think, “Really? Not another one!” It like a never-ending stream. There's a new one out every week—or seems like it. They keep coming like buses or reality TV shows.
Let's get one thing straight, Avengers: Endgame will not be a flop. It will make a shedload of money, with so many zeroes it will make my brain hurt trying to comprehend if such a number actually exists. It will be a huge success because people want closure. Being emotionally invested for a set of characters for ten years, it's natural to get a conclusion.
There have been some absolutely amazing superhero movies. My favourite superhero movie is The Incredibles. (I'm a sucker for animated movies, especially Pixar). So, when I heard there was a sequel, you would think I would be over the moon? Nope. Nada. Zero. I could not have been less interested. The only way I could be less interested if they decided to do a live-action remake.
Why is it I've become bored?
- Is it the fact I’m seeing the same sort of plots over and over again? Surely there are only so many ways of doing a superhero origin story. Or the superhero team-up movie? Or the fish out of water story? Some movies have fit in one or more of these categories.
- Or is it the same superpowers? Super strength, check. Flight, double check. Super speed, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
- Or the same sort of villains?
- Or the end credits scenes? Yes MCU, I'm looking at you.
- Or just the sheer number of superhero movies?
It's probably a combination of all these things. At some point, I'll probably watch superhero movies again; just not right now. If you're like me or have no interest, that's ok, have fun, doing what you usually would do. But if you're going to see Avengers: Endgame, then I have one word for you, Excelsior!