Princess Leia's 10 Most Iconic Quotes from 'Star Wars'
A funny actress, witty author, strong advocate for mental health awareness. Carrie Fisher was all that and more.
"To us, she is royalty."
A funny actress, witty author, strong advocate for mental health awareness. Carrie Fisher was all that and more. Yet, the daughter of Hollywood royalty couple, Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, will forever be remembered most for her iconic role as the feisty Princess Leia / General Organa of the phenomenally popular Star Wars saga.
In no order of merit, here's 10 of the most-quotable quotes of our favorite princess from a galaxy far, far away.
1. "Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."
- Her hologram message to the Master Jedi-turned-recluse in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
2. "Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?"
- to the startled Chewbecca in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
3. "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
- to Han Solo, upon seeing the Millennium Falcon for the first time in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
4. “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
- to Luke Skywalker, when he comes to rescue her in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
5. "You don't have to do this to impress me."
- to Han Solo, as he tries to fly the Millennium Falcon through a shower of asteroids in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
6. "Would it help if I got out and pushed?”
- again to Han Solo, when he couldn't get the Millennium Falcon to start in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
7. "I love you."
- to Han Solo, to which he responded with "I know" before being placed in the carbon-freezing chamber in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
8. "Luke is a Jedi. You are his father."
- (as Resistance Leader General Organa) to Han Solo, encouraging him to reach out to their son Ben (a.k.a Kylo Ren) in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
9. "You know, no matter how much we fought... I've always hated watching you leave."
- to Han Solo, before he leaves for the last time in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
10. "May the Force be with you."
- to Rey, as she leaves in search of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
Carrie Fisher sadly passed away on 27 December 2016 after finishing work on Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017). Yet, with unused footage from The Force Awakens, her appearance as the iconic General Organa in Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) still manages to deliver a few quotable quotes for fans to cherish.
I. “Never underestimate a droid.”
- to Rey, after the Jedi-in-training tells BB-8 that it can’t earn Luke’s lightsaber on her behalf in The Rise of Skywalker (2019). Rey would re-quote this line when BB-8 took out a flying stormtrooper with panache on the desert planet of Pasaana.
II. “Rey, never be afraid of who you are.”
- to the Jedi's last hope as she prepares to leave in search of Emperor Palpatine in the Sith domain of Exegol, which hinted that Leia (daughter of Darth Vader) was aware of Rey’s true heritage, a fact later confirmed by Luke Skywalker (appearing as a Force Ghost) in The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
III. "Do me a personal favor. Be optimistic."
- to Snap Wexley, when the Resistance pilot replies pessimistically when asked if there was any word from Rey in The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Goodnight, dear Princess. Thank you for your life-long work and live-life-to-the-fullest attitude.
May the Force be forever with you...