Teacher King’s English Speaking Lesson: In the kitchen
Learn English the fun way!
Learn the words
5. microwave oven
7. dish rack
8. rice cooker
9. coffee machine
Learn the phrasal verb : Throw out
Meaning: To put something in the trash.
“That toaster needs replacing, so just throw it out.”
Learn the verb : Wash
“Sure, but you might need to wash a coffee mug first!”
wash: Dad washes his car once a month.
washed: I washed the floors in the kitchen this morning.
washing: Washing the coffee machine takes a lot of time.
washed: He hasn’t washed the microwave oven yet.
Read the conversation
Mom: Ben, can you help me clean the kitchen today?
Ben: No, I can’t. Jane and I are about to go to the cinema soon.
Mom: The stove and blender are dirty. I’ll wash them after work.
Jane: We can see a later movie, and look after the kitchen first.
Ben: Okay, so what needs to be done in the kitchen?
Mom: Leave the pans on the dish rack. And put the food in the refrigerator.
Ben: The rice cooker needs cleaning, too. How about the toaster?
Mom: That toaster needs replacing, so just throw it out.
Jane: I’m going to need a cup of coffee first. Can I use the coffee machine?
Mom: Sure, but you might need to wash a coffee mug first!
Answer the questions
1. What does Mom want Ben to do?
2. Where do Ben and Jane want to go?
3. Are Ben and Jane going to help Mom?
4. Where should they put the pans?
Find the grammar mistake
1. Jane and me are about to go to the cinema soon.
2. What need to be done in the kitchen?
3. The toaster needs replaced, so just throw it out.
4. You might need to wash coffee mug first.
Read the talk
Cleaning the kitchen
Mom asked me to clean the kitchen for her. Jane and I agreed to help out. However, it was not easy. The kitchen hadn’t been cleaned for a week because Mom has been working every day. There was a lot to do.
The first thing we did was empty out the cupboards, so we could clean them. After that, we washed the pans and left them on the dish rack. We threw out the toaster because it was over five years old. Mom will replace the toaster tomorrow.
After cleaning the stove, we were already very tired, so we didn’t wash the refrigerator. We will work on it tomorrow. We were going to see a movie, but decided to cancel, and went to sleep instead!
Answer the questions
1. How long hadn’t the kitchen been cleaned for?
2. Why hadn’t the kitchen been cleaned?
3. What did they do first?
4. Did they see a movie?
Past, Present or Future?
1. Mom will replace the toaster tomorrow.
2. We agreed to help.
3. Mom has been working every day.
Take the test
1. The stove and ___ are dirty.
a. Coffee machine
c. Dish rack
2. Where should they put the pans?
a. In the cupboard.
b. On the dish rack.
c. Beside the stove.
3. Mom told them to throw ___ the toaster.
4. Jane needs to ___ a coffee mug first.
5. “Mom ___ me to ___ the kitchen for her.”
a. asked, cleaned
b. asked, clean
c. asks, clean
6. How old was the toaster?
a. Over five years old.
b. Almost five years old.
c. Over four years old.
7. Did Ben and Jane see a movie?
a. No, they don’t.
b. No, they didn’t.
c. Yes, they did.
8. Which kitchen item was not mentioned?
a. Microwave oven.
Begin a new English Lesson:
Check out the book:
1. B 2. B 3. C 4. A 5. B 6. A 7. B 8. A