It is undeniable that Halloween came to Spain years ago to stay and we have fallen for the most terrifying party of the year.
Among the wide variety of preparations that can be prepared for the occasion, we especially like these spider cookies . Show off that sweet and cute side of Halloween , which we prefer above any other dessert .
Preparing these cookies is child's play, who, since we mentioned them, will surely appreciate being involved in the process. They are so easy to prepare with them, like the mummy truffles or the already famous mummy sausages .
There is no science to cookie dough and, with an adult supervising the tasks and taking care of the oven, the little ones in the house can be in charge of mixing all the ingredients, making portions of the dough and shaping it. A way to spend a fun afternoon with the family.
They are such brilliant cookies that they can be prepared as gifts and, if you take them out at the table to accompany coffee, they will surprise your guests.
You will surely be showered with compliments, and it will not only be because of their appearance but also because of how delicious they are. The biscuit-chocolate combination is a guarantee of success and is scrumptious.
Preparation of the base of the Halloween spider cookies
1. Cut the butter into cubes and mix it with the flour, the salt, the egg and the two types of sugar.
2. If we have a kitchen robot, the dough will be ready in the blink of an eye, we will only have to mix until homogenized and that's it.
3. Otherwise, mix the liquid ingredients in a deep and wide container, beating well before incorporating the dry ones.
4. Stir and knead until a homogeneous dough is obtained. It takes a little longer, but the process is the same.
5. Work the dough on a clean work surface until smooth. It is a soft and easy to handle dough, not sticky at all.
6. Wrap it in transparent plastic wrap and let it take shape and cool a bit in the fridge. Half an hour will suffice.
Shape of Halloween Spider Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 180º C, with heat up and down, and line a couple of trays with parchment paper.
2. Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into 20 portions of the approximate size possible. We can use a scale to calculate the exact weight and that they are identical.
3. We ball each of the portions of dough and place on the oven trays, leaving some separation between them because they spread slightly with the heat of the oven.
4. We crush with the palm of the hand and, with the end of a mortar mallet, a ball punch or similar.
5. We make small holes in the center. We do not have to reach the base, we just have to shape and create the hole in which we will later put the chocolates.
Halloween cookie shape
1. Put the trays in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove and go over the hole pressing gently because the dough will be hot.
2. Return the trays to the oven and cook for 10 more minutes or until the cookies are golden, but not excessively.
3. Remove from the oven and wait five minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack and cooling completely.
Halloween spider cookie decoration
1. Melt the dark chocolate and place it in a pastry bag. We do the same with white chocolate.
2. We drop a glob of melted dark chocolate in the center of each cookie and place the chocolates on top. It will act as a glue and, as soon as the chocolates cool, they will adhere to the cookie.
3. To make the eyes, with the white chocolate we draw two circles on each chocolate and with the dark chocolate we draw the pupils.
4. We finish the cookies by drawing the legs, four on each side, with the dark chocolate.
5. Let the chocolate cool and harden before serving.
Tips for perfect Halloween spider cookies
• Spider eyes can be purchased at specialty stores. With this we not only save a step but they are perfect.
• You can also substitute white chocolate for white fondant, we stick them to the chocolates with a little bit of dark chocolate with which we then draw the pupils.
• The cookie dough can be adapted to taste. Vanilla sugar can be replaced by unflavoured sugar, you can also add cocoa to the dough or use some flavoring (almond essence, mint, etc).
• The marshmallows can be glued to the cookies without using melted chocolate. You just have to place them in their hole when the cookies are still hot (be careful not to overheat). The base of the chocolate melts slightly and sticks to the cookie.
About the Creator
Blogger | Creative Writer | Traveler | Full-Time Rver
I write because my heart tells me to, I read because I love stories that make my eclectic soul happy. I'm an Artist, Writer , Animal lover, traveller and free spirit