Sarees are one of the most elegant and beautiful pieces of Indian traditional wear. They are frequently passed down from generation to generation as family heirlooms. However, with the changing times, the trend of wearing sarees has declined, especially among the younger generation. But what to do with those beautiful sarees that you can't wear anymore?
One solution is to turn it into stylish churidar dresses for kids. In this ultimate guide, we'll take you through the step-by-step process of repurposing old sarees into cute churidar dresses for kids.
Step 1: Choosing the right saree
Look for sarees with bright and vibrant colors as they are perfect for children's wear. You can opt for sarees with intricate designs and embroidery as they add extra charm to the outfit. It is important to ensure that the saree is in good condition, without tears or stains.
Step 2: Measuring and cutting the saree
The next step is to measure the saree and cut it to the size required for the churidar suit. To make a churidar dress, you will need the following measurements:
Chest: Measure the baby's chest area and easily add two inches.
Waist: Measure the child's waist and easily add two inches.
Length: Measure the length from the shoulder to the desired length of the garment.
Once you have taken the measurements, cut the saree to the required size with a sharp pair of scissors.
Step 3: Stitching the churidar dress
The next step is to sew the churidar dress. You will need a sewing machine, thread, and a needle. For those of you who don't know how to sew, you can take the help of a tailor or a friend who knows how to sew.
- First, sew the edges of the dress to create a tube-like structure.
- Then sew the shoulder and neck.
- After that, sew the sleeves to the armhole.
- Next, grind the bottom of the garment.
- Now, take the rest of the saree and cut it into thin strips. These strips are used to make churidar pants.
- Sew the strips together to make a long tube.
- Take the measurements for the churidar trousers and cut the tube accordingly.
- Sew the ends of the tube to create a trouser-like structure.
- Hem the bottom of the pants and attach an elastic band to the waist.
Step 4: Adding Decorations
You can add embellishments to the churidar dress to make it more beautiful. You can use lace, beads, sequins, or embroidery to decorate the dress. You can also add a contrasting border to the hemline of dresses and trousers.
Step 5: Styling the churidar dress
The last step is to style the churidar dress. You can pair the dress with a matching dupatta and jewelry to complete the look. You can experiment with different hairstyles and shoes to make the outfit more stylish.
- Tips to help you in the process of repurposing old sarees into churidar clothes for kids:
- Take your time with the cutting and measuring process. It's important to get the measurements right to ensure a perfect fit.
- Choose the right thread and needle for sewing. A fine and strong thread with a suitable color gives an elegant finish to the garment.
- If the saree is transparent, add a lining to the dress. This will prevent the dress from showing through and give it a more finished look.
- Be creative with decorations. You can use a combination of different materials to add texture and depth to the dress.
- If you're not confident in your sewing skills, start with a simple design and work your way up. There are many online tutorials and resources to help you.
Repurposing old sarees into churidar clothes for kids is not only a great way to reuse old clothes but also a way to create something unique and special for your child. With a little effort and creativity, you can turn an old saree into a wonderful churidar outfit that your child will cherish for years.
Redesigning old sarees as churidar clothes for kids is a great way to reuse them and make new ones. This is a fun and creative project that you can do at home with the help of a few basic sewing skills. With proper measurements, cutting, and stitching, you can create a cute and stylish churidar dress for your baby.
So, the next time you have an old saree that you can't wear, don't throw it away. Transform it into a stunning churidar outfit for your little one and give it a new lease of life. Not only is this an eco-friendly option, but it also adds sentimental value to the garment. Your child will love wearing their family heirloom and you will love that they look so adorable in it. So, get creative and turn old sarees into cute churidar dresses for kids.