The Complete Guide To Content Repurposing
Ultimate Guide To Content Repurposing
Your website is visually amazing. It has the right elements (color schemes, design, effects, visuals, etc.) to make it stand apart from the crowd.
But, is it enough to help your website rank highly on search engines?
Content is one of the most important ranking factors for Google and this is the reason all the online brands invest heavily in content writing. Content decides the relevancy of a website in accordance to the user query. Better content leads to higher rankings.
Backlinks is another important ranking factor for Google. Higher numbers of quality links are counted as a vote. The greater the number of links to a site, the greater the chances of it ranking higher in the search results.
Content repurposing is an ideal strategy that generates higher brand visibility and a higher number of backlinks by producing just one piece of content and repurposing it in a variety of ways.
Why Content Matters, and Why Repurposing is a Smart Choice?
Just having an incredible website doesn’t always ensure it will be seen. In order to show up in SERPs, search engines must know what your website is all about. And the way to let your website be visible to search engines is through content.
Unfortunately, creating quality content can be a struggle at times. Coming up with exciting topics on a regular basis may neither be practical, nor affordable.
This is why content repurposing is a great idea. The popular content pieces could work for you time and time again, attracting higher traffic to your website every time.
What is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing is the technique of recycling your existing content into different formats and publishing them on different platforms to expand your business visibility.
Repurposing is a very practical technique and can enable you to get your existing star content into the hands of more readers.
When you reproduce an existing content into a new format, or recreate it for a new target audience, it means you have repurposed your popular archived piece of content. For instance, you have a well-received Facebook post, you recreate it into infographics for Instagram – you changed the format of the content.
According to a research conducted by Curata, only 29 percent of marketers strategically reuse and repurpose content.
Repurposing content can become an accelerator for your business, and here is how you do it:
Write to Repurpose
This may sound weird, but you can create content with the intention to repurpose it. When a single topic can lead to creating several other formats of content, why not put it to use.
While researching for your topics, remember to ask yourself:
- Can the topic and content be presented in any other format?
- Does the content have enough information to be expanded in future?
If the answers to both the questions is a yes, go ahead. And when you run out of ideas, repurpose this content.
Use Statistics To Your Advantage
This can help you repurpose your social media posts with significant viewership. You can repurpose or freshen them up with recent examples, current studies / statistics / research, and relevant images.
Apart from your social media, you can revamp your old evergreen blogs by including statistics, new data points as well as the latest trends. Adding such data can help you boost your authority as an expert in your domain and drive traffic to your website.
Remember, when you add value to your old blogs please announce it to the audience. Inform them about the improvement and exciting new additions. The most important part is to keep the URL unchanged. This will maintain your links along with high ranking on that already popular page.
Repurpose Changing Niche Audience
This is a great idea to repurpose your high-ranking blogs. You can easily tweak your target audience from the previous ones and create some awesome content for a different niche.
For instance, you have a high-ranking blog about income tax. You can repurpose it to cater to working women, where all to invest to save taxes, or maybe the current changes in the income tax structures.
If you have blogs on fitness wearables, you can repurpose the content to keep a check for hydration, tweak it for individuals wanting belly fat loss and so on.
You can easily tweak the content according to the industry your business caters to.
5 Ways to Repurpose Your High-Ranking Blogs
There are several ways you can repurpose your high-quality awesome content, here are a few examples:
1- Repurpose Evergreen Content to Infographics
Infographics are a mix of graphics and content and are ideal for today’s customers who are hard pressed for time.
This is a great way to repurpose your old high-traffic blog posts. The best blogs to convert into infographics can be guides or the how-to ones. Infographics are alluring, creative and easy to consume.
- There are tools like Piktochart, Canva and many more that enable you to create the graphics on your own.
- Create attractive headlines. A strong and impactful headline will ensure that the audience will notice the infographic. It must be short (within 70 characters) and include a description of the infographic.
- More graphics, less text. Don’t include all the text that your blog comprises. Graphics must be the core when creating infographics. It must be more of a visual representation rather than text heavy information.
- Too long, too boring. You will end up losing the user’s attention if the infographic is too long. The appropriate length would be somewhere between 7500-8500 pixels.
- An infographic embedded with your logo is a powerful means of creating better brand visibility.
- You can submit your own infographics on various sites like Visual.ly, Pinterest, Daily Infographic etc
2- Repurpose to Ebook
Assemble blogs revolving around the same topic, add a table of contents, introduction, content, images, header & footer and format it into an ebook.
For instance, you have several high-quality articles on SEO which have proven to draw traffic to your website. Bring them together in an e-book portraying your business’ domain expertise.
Once your ebook is complete you can promote it:
- on your landing page.
- add a pop ebook banner to your web pages.
- add CTA in your top performing posts to “download the ebook”.
3- Repurpose to Videos
Another brilliant way to repurpose your old blogs is by creating a video.
Here is how you can repurpose your blogs into video content:
- Choose the blog post - Not all blog posts can be repurposed into videos. Therefore, it is important to select the most video worthy content. Select the blog which consists of high traffic generating keywords ranging between 10,000 to 15,000 searches per month.
- Work on the script - Your primary work here is to translate the written word (from blog) to spoken word (for video). The introduction of the video must include what they get or learn through it. Use of graphics, backgrounds along with camera effects.Keep average length of the in-depth video to range between 15-20 mins
- Storyboarding - Create a visual plan of how the video will unfold. It will help you later when you are assembling and editing your video.
- Video optimization - It is important that you optimize your video to gain maximum benefit out of it. Add a thumbnail with the video title, attractive images and use of bright colors. Every content requires powerful headlines, so does video content. Include complete titles for the videos, for example instead of using “FUE Hair Transplantation” as the title, use “Get your confidence back with the FUE Hair Transplantation”, which will have a greater impact.
- Powerful Descriptions - Describe what you have. It is advisable to create 150-300 word descriptions so that you can add the keywords for better ranking on search engines. Descriptions are also important because the focus is not only on people watching the video. But also selling and enticing them to subscribe.
- Video Tags - Don’t miss out video tags. Because tags are important elements to help your videos rank high in YouTube’s search engine algorithm. The tag must include your topic, genre, etc.
Create an awesome video and upload it on video platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo.
4- Repurpose to Quora Answers
I believe that Quora is the best and the easiest platform to repurpose your high-quality blogs on. It is a minefield of questions waiting to be answered. Quora is an ideal platform to demonstrate your expertise and increase traffic to your website from those wanting for in-depth answers.
All you have to do is to look for a question according to the blog that you have chosen to repurpose, tweak it and post it with a link to your website.
Quora garners around 300 million active users every month. Therefore, not being active on Quora can be a foolish decision. Here’s how Quora answers create opportunities to use content from one of your blogs, and to plug in URLs to other related blog posts from your website into it.
5- Repurpose to Slide Presentation
This is the easiest way to repurpose your content. You can easily upload the content on sites like SlideShare.
Keep the following things in mind when creating a SlideShare presentation:
- Update the content. Keep it short and simple. The content must have current statistics, include quotes from authoritative personalities, and frame the content to be actionable.
- Include good graphics.
- Add a CTA.
- Include Keywords and an impactful title.
The biggest advantage of repurposing your content into a SlideShare is that it will appear on search engines and to a larger audience as well.
Measure The Performance of Your Pages
Any activity that is not measured fails to produce the desired results. You must keep a track of all your content including the websites where you are repurposing the content.
You can easily set conversion goals based on your target pages or events like watching a video with the help of analytics tools like GA.
Once tracked, you will be able to measure the engagement metrics associated with every content type including the number of assisted conversions they help to generate.
Performance measurement via analytics is a crucial step because proper page performance tacking, you are never to understand which content pieces are actually providing value to your overall marketing strategy.
Brands That Use Repurposing To Their Advantage
Zapier repurposes blogs to create an ebook every three months. They gained over 16000 downloads and a hike of 11,000 subscribers on their emailing list with the help of content repurposing.
Another great example of a brand using content repurposing to its best is Marvel - The Captain America: The Winter Soldier film was repurposed to blog posts, videos, podcasts, games and images.
For business owners, repurposing content can save a lot of time, energy and money. You can call it a super hack which has loads of benefits. One story can fragment into several other stories or formats. The key is to add value when repurposing, then the chances of failure will be mitigated.