“If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
Happiness is something that I am working on. I have struggled with mental health for a very long time. I am currently working on trying some new things for my mental health.
If you have not read my 100 Days of Happy Challenge, please click on the link below and share in my journey of working on being happy.
I love sharing my stories with other people through my writing because I know there are so many people out there struggling in silence. I lost a friend to suicide a few years back and I wish he was still here.
If you or someone you love is struggling with mental health, don't be afraid to reach out. The National Suicide hotline number is 1-833-456-4566 or dial 911 for immediate services. Take care of your loved ones.
Back to the main point of this post, I am working on being happy. Which actually happens to be a huge challenge for me. I have struggled hard with depression most of my life but for some reason this year has been especially dark for me and I don't know why. So I decided to focus on the positive things.
I love so many little things that make me feel happy. Creating this list cheered me right up in all honesty. I hope this list pokes at someone's heart and makes them feel a little happier while reading it.
Chloe's Happy Things
- Lavender scented anything
- Art journaling
- The first snowfall
- Warm tea on rainy days
- Watching lightning storms
- A fresh journal
- The smell of old books
- My children’s laughter
- Tacos make me happy
- The Legend of Zelda franchise
- The smell of gasoline
- Going for walks
- Shane Dawson videos
- Playing at the park with my children
- Listening to good music
- Spending time with loved ones
- The smell of rain
- Late night sunsets and early morning sunrises
- Late night phone calls
- Going to Ruckers
- Screaming into the abyss (a.k.a screaming in my car for therapy)
- Seeing my counsellor (I fully believe that counselling saved my life and I highly recommend it because not enough people go to therapy when they need to... fun fact of the day)
- My grandma's homemade bread
- Reading a really good book
- Online shopping makes me happy
- Conversations with a good friend
- Bold coloured lipstick
- Matcha flavored anything
- Sour patch kids
- Caffeine makes me happy
- Dr. Pepper in fast food restaurants
- Laying in the sun
- Exploring new things
- Cool lake water
- Burnt cheese
- Hilary Duff movies
- Getting a new tattoo or piercing
- Coffee on the dock at the lake
- When my hair actually gets curled for once
- the smell of bacon cooking....mmmm
- Lighting candles in a clean home
- Cat purrs make me happy
- Playing Zelda games
- Trying new things
- Playing at the park with my children
- Multi-coloured pens
- Creating content for Vocal
- Writing poetry
- Creating art with my children
- Wandering around Indigo (my favourite bookstore)
- Rewatching movies and tv series that I love
- Baking with my children
- Dying my hair bright colours
- Doing my makeup (this only happens once in a while)
- New clothes
- Singing all my favourite songs off-key
- The sound of my pen scratching on paper
- A brand new vape
- Long drives listening to music
- Putting on pjs after a long day
- Watching childrens movies
- Playing freeze dance with my children
- A tequila shot at the bar (with salt and a lime of course)
- Playing Sims 3 (and killing Sims)
- The smell of a newborn baby
- Playing Grophland (google it)
- Going camping in the summertime
- Going to a farmers market
- Watching my children jump in bouncy castles
- A long hug from someone you love
- Conversations about life
- Playing board games
- Reading my tarot/oracle cards
- Holding my crystals makes me extremely happy (I even have specific ones that I sleep next to)
- Doing my makeup funky colours
This is all my brain could come up with for things that make me happy. This is a very good exercise for when you're depressed in my honest opinion. I instantly felt better after compiling this list of things that make me happy. I have created happy lists for myself while journaling before but I never had the idea to post them anywhere.
What makes you happy?
Share your own happy things down below in the comment section.
Please like this post if it resonated with you.
Subscribe to me to follow more of my mental health journey.
Chloe Rose Violet