Kids Grow Physically And Emotionally By Playing Outdoors
A parenting guide for their kids to grow with proper nutrition and healthy life.
Well, a lot more is happening to their bodies and minds when they play. The colorful and open playground structures provide kids with a tremendous learning experience. Today’s educational communities see playgrounds as a lot more than an optional or extracurricular activity. Why they do so? I will be discussing it below!
In this time and age, children tend to spend more and more time indoors. Most kids are glued to television, smartphones, and other gadgets. But watching cartoons on television or using phones for endless hours can affect their health. Being a couch potato can also lead to obesity in children. On the other hand, playing outdoor games can improve mental and physical health in children. Exposure to outdoor play can also shape their personality and help them develop essential social skills. It is a wonderful way to help them develop life skills. Read on to know what good playing outdoor games can do to your children.
Even kids themselves are unaware of what playing does to their bodies when they play outside. They play because it’s fun for them. However, research shows outdoor playing isn’t only beneficial but necessary to keep kids healthy and physically fit. Kids learn movement control and reflexes when they play, which, in turn, lead to the development of motor skills and enhance balance and flexibility.
Moreover, outdoor playground equipment involves kids in activities that help in making muscles stronger and improve bone density. On top of that, increased blood circulation during playing helps in better heart functioning and lung performance; thereby preventing kids from high cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity.
A famous Roman poet named Ovid once said we tell kids what kind of people we are playing with. When I first read his quote, I kept on thinking what did he mean by that, but after pondering a bit, I realized how true he was!
While thinking, I did the searching and came across several types of research that had the same conclusion that outdoor playing helps kids grow emotionally. Mainly, there are three areas in which outdoor activities help children internally.
Experience of different emotions
Pretended playing is a traditional way in which kids used to utilize their imaginary skills to come out of reality and boundaries. Well, nothing has changed as kids practice it today as well when they are taken to play with other kids. When kids are allowed to play freely, they express themselves in any way they want without fearing anything or anyone. As a result, they experience emotions even they themselves might not have observed before.
Developing self-esteem and confidence
Outdoor playground equipment such as overhead hanging and climbers enable kids to use their skills to meet a given physical challenge. They utilize all the tricks and ideas and even take risks to prove themselves. When they meet their goal, it helps in building confidence and develops self-esteem. It makes them believe in themselves and they realize they can achieve what they want.
The release of emotions from trauma
Free play doesn’t only help in physical growth, but it helps children in beating traumatic situations they have gone through.
Outdoor playing helps in overcoming distressed emotions due to war or natural disasters, family disruptions, and child abuse. When kids play, they take out their emotions and throw off all the negativity going on in their minds.
All in all, giving exposure to a playground is the best thing you can do for your kids.
Don’t you want to give such a precious gift?
Summarizing benefits of playing outdoor games
- It can boost their creativity.
- It can help in their physical development.
- It helps improve the attention span in children.
- It can help them develop a positive attitude.
- It helps in personality development.
- It makes them lead a healthier lifestyle.
- It improves their love for nature.
- It strengthens their motor skills.
- It gives them an opportunity to learn new things.
- It can help them acquire social skills.
Everything has Disadvantages too
- Most of the time kids play outdoor games without adult supervision which may give rise to concerns about their safety and likely injuries while playing.
- At times, kids overexert themselves due to their love for playing outdoors. Playing outdoors for long can lead to physical strain.
- Kids who indulge in outdoor activities excessively may tend to neglect their studies. It is important that they devote sufficient time to academics as well.
- Parents may like to give special attention to the fact that outdoor games should promote every form of play.
Originally Published on Medium.