Find an OPT job as an international student in the USA.
OPT job as an international student
OPT stands for Optional Practical Training. OPT allows international students on F1 visas to work in the US for 12 months in their major field. Students are eligible to obtain OPT after they complete their full-time first year of academics. After receiving OPT EAD(Employment Authorization Document) international students are provided with 90 days unemployment period during which they have to find OPT job for themselves. Let us see the ways through which an international student can find an OPT job in the USA:
1. Start your job search early:
- If you are an international student on F-1 visas, you should start your OPT job search early or in advance.
- It is because, in order to extend your stay in the USA after completing your studies, students on F-1 visas would require a valid visa status in the USA.
- Hence, it is necessary for you to start an OPT job search in advance to get a desirable OPT job in the provided unemployment period.
- At least three months forward to receiving your OPT EAD card, you should begin looking for work.
- The early job hunt will help you to understand the job market and the demand for your skills.
2. Build networks:
- During your studies in the United States, try to establish as many connections or networks as possible.
- You should initiate networking with family friends, relatives, any event meet person, professors, industry leaders, influencers, or classmates.
- Such networks may be able to assist you in your OPT job search by providing references.
- While looking for OPT employment, inform all of your contacts in the United States that you are looking for an OPT job.
3. Reach the potential companies:
- Make a quick research on the companies that are hiring for OPT jobs.
- Study all the company's websites and identify the opening related to your field.
- Apply to the jobs through the career page of the company's website.
- You can also directly visit the potential companies and submit your CV.
4. Build a professional resume:
5. Career development services of your College/University:
6. Search according to the location and be ready to relocate:
- There are limited employment opportunities for international students in the USA as compared to US citizens.
- But, some states have a name for being more welcoming to international individuals and providing many more career options for international students.
- There are certain companies in several states in the USA that have the means and experience necessary to hire international students.
- As a result, international students should research such states to determine whether there are any work opportunities.
- They should be ready to relocate if they find any relevant OPT job opening in any other state in the USA.
7. Stay updated with all the related rules and regulations:
8. Take the assistance of job sites: