emily green

emily green

I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses, and cannot work. All I want is to share my story with the world in the hopes to help others who may or may not be in my shoes.
How does it work?
  • emily green
    Published 2 years ago
    What It's Like to Live With POTS

    What It's Like to Live With POTS

    Upon standing, the body naturally disperses your blood to your legs and your belly, which causes low blood pressure because there is less blood flowing back into your heart. In the normal, healthy human body, baroreceptors near your heart and in the arteries of your neck sense this low pressure. In return, these receptors send a signal to your brain to make your heart beat faster and pump more blood, which stabilizes your blood pressure. POTS, which stands for Postural (obviously the position of your body whether it be standing, sitting, or laying) Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, is a form of low blood pressure that occurs when you sit up and stand from a laying down position.
  • emily green
    Published 2 years ago
    It Really is the Little Things

    It Really is the Little Things

    Ah, I can see it now! An elementary school in an annoyingly close-knit town: Hopedale, Massachusetts. I often think about the playground, because it was the only place where I could get away from my classmates if I wanted to. It was also the place where we learned ways to cope with our everyday lives; the largest issue, of course, being anxiety.
  • emily green
    Published 2 years ago
    It Only Takes a Moment

    It Only Takes a Moment

    In 1995, located somewhere in a bitter, wintry town in Illinois, a young couple and their 9 year old son were about to have their second child. Following a standard C- section procedure, their seemingly healthy baby girl was delivered on November 21st at 9:30 am. After what seemed like an eternity of silence, she finally busted into an uncontrollable cry while being cleaned off and examined by the pediatrician. As if by instinct, her mother spoke words of love and compassion; resulting in the infant going silent, looking in the direction of a very familiar voice. Just like all newborns, she had a hole in her heart; one of the doctors announced to the parents his desire to crack open their baby's chest to fix the hole. Utterly horrified, her father kicked him out of the room, looking at his new baby worried about her health. Now, at the time, what they didn't realize is that approximately 75% of the hearts of babies heal themselves on their own, while the other 25% live on with the hole, exchanging blood between the two chambers of their hearts; often never experiencing any health complications. And so, with their baby girl, they brought her home on Thanksgiving day and celebrated the creation of a new life!