Lifehack logo

Can You Sell A House With Rising Damp in Sydney, Australia?

Selling a house with Rising Damp in Sydney, Australia.

By Luke S. AraquilPublished 2 years ago 3 min read
A graphical representation shows what is rising damp that are common in Sydney.

Rising Damp is very common in Sydney and is always the problem of the house owners. Rising damp is common on houses that are old and were built before 1970. At this time, houses don't need to have damp-course proof as a legal requirement to start building the house. Some old houses may have rising damp because their Damp Proof Course (DPC) is already outdated.

First of all, we must know what is rising damp and what causes it.

What is rising damp?

Rising damp is one of the common problems in your house. It is a form of damp that is common in old houses in Australia and affects the walls of your house. It can occur when there is moisture from the ground that travels up through the walls by capillary action. Groundwater is sucked up through tiny cylinders in the bricks, similar to a straw. This water contains salts that likewise travel up through the wall.

One of the common reasons for rising damp is when the underground water at your house seeps through the small hole in your walls or masonry. This can cause condensation inside the wall along with environmental conditions like extreme heat coming from the sun or just warm air. With all of the elements, you have yourself a rising damp problem in your house.

Now, let's go back to our main question. Can we sell a house with the rising damp in Sydney, Australia? The answer is to this question is yes. Yes, you can but it would be very hard. You have no choice but to lower the price. My advice to you is to fix the rising damp problem first before selling it. You will pay for the fix but I'm very sure that it can double the selling price if you fix the rising damp issue first. This always true on whatever you want to sell.

How to fix them?

The only way to treat rising damp is to apply a new damp proofing course to the wall. In my opinion, you should hire a rising damp specialist in Sydney. Hiring someone specialized will greatly improve or fix your rising damp problem. You should not do it yourself because it may affect the house's structure quality especially if you are trying to sell it. There is a lot of Sydney-based rising damp specialists that can be found online, here are my recommendations;

This site is one of the best rising damp specialists in Sydney. This specialist will give you what they call "Free 7 Point Rising Damp Assessment". It is an assessment of your rising damp problem in which they will carefully assess the problem then if they found these "7 principle factors" that can cause rising damp, they will send you the cost of your rising damp. You will also have Efflorescence, and Salt Removal.

This specialist is one of the experienced when it comes to rising damps. They have 25 years of experience with rising damp problems and their newly hired personnel have at least 5 years of experience in the industry. The method they use is the chemical pressure injection method, this method uses a special device and chemicals that are injected into your wall. Although they prefer this method, they have also other effective methods as well. I recommend this specialist because of their experience dealing with rising damp especially when it is with an old house.

Now that you fix the rising damp problem, you can now start selling your house with confidence at the right price.

housevintagehow to

About the Creator

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights


There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

Sign in to comment

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2023 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.