Actions To Take In NJ For Climate Change
Things you can do to improve our climate situation-NJ oriented but generally for everyone.
Climate change is a rapidly growing issue in our day to day lives and although it was initially easy to brush it off as an inconvenience, As something that made our summers go from hot to sweltering but the inevitable has finally come to pass; Climate change is no longer an aspect that can be brushed off as a minor inconvenience and its officially something we should all be worried about- And if I was to speak frankly, We should be terrified.
In the day to day life of an average American there's actually a surprising amount of things you could do to help change the rapidly rising rate of our climate emergency. Growing up we were taught to reuse and recycle and although the phrase becomes redundant and annoying to hear; It's definitely one of the better actions to take if you want to slow down and hopefully stop this dangerous situation.
So today I’m here with the hope of informing the people of my state with different actions to take in order to help prevent the growth of our climate emergency.
Actions you could take.
* Make your voice heard: Reaching out to your state senator, Your city mayor or generally any representative doesn’t always go unheard, Especially if you're not the only one doing so; Reaching out to friends and working as a team to express the need for change isn’t useless and your voice won’t go unnoticed- You can make a change.
* Start your own garden: Not only is a garden beneficial to our environment but it's beneficial to you as well. Some of the plants most helpful to the environment includes; Aloe Vera, Peace Lily, Lavender, And Bamboo. If you prefer an edible garden the best options are; Mushrooms, Sweet potatoes, green beans, and Eggplants. However if you have a lot of space studies show that exotic plants help reduce our carbon foot print.
* Recycling: The act of recycling sounds derivative and tired but in this case it's one of the most important and effective things you can do. Although it sounds pretty cut and dry there are many different ways to recycle; If you’re the crafty type or looking to entertain your kids you could turn bottles, Cans, and jars into various crafts. If you take on the idea of gardening you could turn bottles into watering cans or create your own irrigation system. If you use your imagination you could be surprised with the crafts you can make.
* Planting trees: Although I already mentioned planting a garden; Planting trees has a lot of potential especially in the state of New Jersey where we have multiple volunteer options and programs; In the fall you could join the ‘New Jersey Tree Foundation’ in planting trees to help save our environment.
* Reducing your negative impact at home: In the sweltering heat of the summer the simple act of keeping your lights off or using them scarcely can help reduce your carbon foot print and if a dim lit house isn’t in your interest; Investing in LED lights. If you favor neither of those options there are other actions you could take including minimizing your usage of hot water and air conditioning and limiting your meat and dairy intake.
(Side note: Although people commonly use hot water to wash clothes in the washing machine; Cold water has the same outcome.)
Those are just some of your options when it comes to making a change in the fight against our Climate Emergency. There are many more options including Petitions, Protests, Activism pages and carpooling. You don’t have to spend money to make a change and although it's wise to pick your battles; This is one worth fighting for.