The concept of technology can be very broad because it has been present in humanity since the invention of utensils, tools, and technologies.
The simplest definition refers to a series of applied knowledge to solve a particular problem. If it is understood as the search for the satisfaction of needs, it encompasses all fields of daily life.
Usually, it associated with the technology revolution and industrial machinery, tics, and electronic components definition. To make a differentiation, we can classify them into two groups:
• Soft. It is so-called because it uses the humanistic sciences to reach conclusions that can be beneficial. It covers more theoretical aspects in order to improve processes, models, theories, and services. Subjects such as psychology, sociology, economics, marketing, and more are responsible for producing intangible solutions that can have positive impacts.
• Dura. It relies on knowledge such as mathematics, chemistry, physics, and other related knowledge to understand the world around us and provide solutions. In addition to theoretical applications, it includes tangible resources, such as consumer material goods that make life easier and other more specialized devices for industry.
What is the technology for?
If we focus on current texnologia, we can say that it performs a fundamental task in the development of humanity. Since it covers all the essential aspects of society, it contributes to improving our well-being. For this reason, it has a critical impact on food, health, work, construction, economy, communication, entertainment, business, and more.
Advantages and disadvantages of technology
We are living in a digital age that is altering old customs and replacing rudimentary practices with new ones. This transformation of reality is now considered disruptive because it can have both advantages and disadvantages for daily coexistence. Among its most notable benefits, we highlight:
• It simplifies and automates operations in any context.
• Improving industrial productivity by promoting applications for the efficient use of resources.
• Influence the way of doing things, opening spaces for other professions or careers.
• It favors self-taught learning through its multiple tools.
• It can be used for sustainable purposes to produce renewable energy, green materials, and cleaner technologies.
• Leads globalization by spreading local cultures and integrating national perspectives.
• Improves efficiency models, which increases the immediacy to do activities or receive attention.
There is no doubt that technology represents an important advance in many ways, but it also has
• Creating a generational gap between those born in the digital age and those not born.
• The misuse of tablet computers, smartphones, and other devices affect young people's health.
• The preference for machines generates social pathologies due to its influence on the way of experiencing the world.
• It encourages a lack of empathy, isolation and also decreases human interaction on several levels.
•It affects short-term memory, and prevents people from exercising by favoring a sedentary lifestyle, and limits mental exercise.
•In obtaining natural resources for technological devices, the overexploitation of minerals and labor is encouraged.
•It dramatically affects new ways of working, favoring automation with robots and the exclusion of non-specialized personnel.
Technology trends today
• Blockchain. Related to cryptocurrencies, we associate this block crypto technology with investments and transactions with these assets. The importance of blockchain lies in its decentralized nature that can support other applications that complement the payment systems as we know it. Its versatility allows managing different processes in the cloud; secure data storage services, smart contract platforms, management of different insurance, protection of voting systems, and much more.
• Internet of Things (IoT). The Internet of Things is an emerging technology whose purpose is to turn common objects into continuous sources of information connected to the network. This is possible through RFID transmitters, sensors, and GPS that allow this interconnection. Powered by big data, it can be used for both business and custom applications. As an integral part of current and future smart cities, the full potential of data flow has yet to be discovered.
• 5G. Still, in full development, the appearance of this ICT has come before the implementation of an infrastructure that supports its full potential. However, the most advanced countries spare no effort to fine-tune it. With capacity up to 100 times faster than 4G, we're going to talk about gigabit transmissions, smaller antennas, denser networks, lower latency, more reliable connections, and lower power consumption. This is without counting the benefits related to shared use with the Internet of Things.
• Artificial intelligence. AI is noted as the most disruptive influence of this century due to its technological, economic, and ethical implications. Teaching machines to "think" or "act" like a human brain is a momentous achievement in itself. Along with machine learning, this technology influences fields such as physics, health, finance, entertainment, business, and many more areas in which data processing to generate more efficient models is essential.
• Big data. Temporary progress is what is known as data science. Through relational databases, BI (Business Intelligence) techniques, mining, and massive data management are changing decision-making in different fields. Due to the increasing use of devices associated with the network that generate more and more information, their interpretation is crucial to justify actions based on objective and more reliable elements.
Is technology changing the way we communicate?
Answering this question with no would be like denying the existence of the universe it is indisputable to say that information technology has revolutionized the media. Gone are the days of simple emails or SMS, and of course regular mail. We are in an era where the internet encompasses almost everything and connectivity is the deity we worship the most.
The advancement of ICT has had various individual, group, and commercial purposes. Although more than half of the planet is connected together, two main aspects of the impact of digital culture are worth highlighting:
• Open communication. The fact that being able to use WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other similar channels has lifted physical limits. Anyone can be in contact with someone at any given time. This makes it easy to communicate directly with family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances via instant messages, email, or video calls. In addition, these media have simplified the dynamics of social and work meetings.
• Increased possibilities. New forms of communication have expanded the world for professionals, entrepreneurs, and organized societies, among other actors in society. Even with language barriers, you can establish business relationships anywhere in the world. From a small point, we have access to any country to take advantage of the new opportunities offered by information and tools of the numerous technology.