Azure Cloud Migration: Top Strategies to Keep in Mind
Top Azure migration strategies
As the Microsoft Azure cloud computing platform continues to become an increasingly popular offering in the market, there has been a lot of talk about the Azure cloud migration process. This is because the process is the foundation for the success of the move to the cloud.
Azure as you might be aware offers a powerful cloud platform that is highly suitable for large enterprise IT environments. This is with stringent compliance and data protection requirements. Therefore, when planning the migration initiative, it is worth considering the pros and cons of the four key migration strategies. This includes Rehost, Refactor, Rearchitect & Rebuild. And, depending on which of these models an organization picks would determine the entire Azure migration strategy.
Before we delve any further into the subject, allow us to first walk you through the steps of the Azure cloud migration process.
- Assessment: Before you start the Azure cloud migration process, it is imperative to understand the migration of which apps would best benefit the company. Then also take a look at these apps and see if they are suited for a move to the cloud.
- Migration: Now it is time to choose a migration strategy, followed by the tools and technologies you will need based on the selected strategy. It is advisable to start the process with a basic proof concept for a handful of apps before moving on to the remaining ones.
- Optimization: The job does not simply end once the app is deployed in the cloud: you must then keep track of the app, its performance, and other relevant factors to see and leverage any potential for improvement that may surface. So, be sure to monitor costs, achievement of all migration-related goals, etc.
- Management: Once you kick off operations in the cloud, it is time to take a closer look at some key aspects of such operations, i.e. monitoring, security, data safety, etc. Make sure that you not only get a good grasp on the cloud-based app’s security posture but also implement measures such as data backup, disaster recovery, etc. Oh, and do not forget to keep an eye on the performance of data services, computing, etc.
Now, let us also take a look at some of the most popular migration strategies you can leverage to your benefit.
- Lift and shift: This strategy refers to the process of directly transferring virtual machine images from the local data center to the cloud computing platform. Also known as rehosting, this strategy enables the deployment of databases and file storage on virtual machines as well as managed databases and managed file storage services compatible with IaaS.
- Rearchitect: Using the rearchitect strategy means you will have to organize the app services’ monolith code into smaller parts, better known as Microservices, for the migration process. It must be noted that in certain cases, the rearchitecting of the data access layer may also be warranted.
- Rebuild: Under the purview of the rebuild strategy, the system is completely redeveloped in the cloud and underpinned by only cloud services. While the process is extensive, it does allow companies to leverage the cloud services’ full potential.
Azure Cloud Migration may seem like a Herculean task to some at first but rest assured that the process is simpler than it looks, especially if you adopt some sharp migration strategies such as the ones listed above. With a strategic approach to back the migration process, there is absolutely no doubt that the migration process will bring forth a world of benefits to organizations that choose to embrace it. All you need, then, is a trusted partner to facilitate the Azure cloud migration process for you at the earliest possible.
About the author
A professional & security-oriented programmer having more than 6 years of experience in designing, implementing, testing & supporting mobile apps developed. Being techno geek, I love to read & share about the latest updates in technology.