What Is the Only Team in Major Leagues to Not Make the World Series
Only one team in the major league has never been to the World Series, can you name the team?
With the Washington Nationals making the World Series for the first time in 2019, there is only one team left in the major leagues that has not made it to the World Series. Can You name that team?
There are seven major league baseball teams, counting the Washington Nationals, that have never won a World Series. But only one of the those seven teams has never even played in the World Series.
Here are ten clues to help you name the team.
1. The team holds the record for the most wins in a regular season yet did not make the World Series that season or any other season
2. The team is in the American League. The Washington Nationals were the last team in the National League to make the World Series. The Nationals franchise was established in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. The team played in Montreal until 2005 when they moved to Washington and became the Nationals.
3. The team that has never been to the World Series has been playing in the major leagues since 1977
4. The team did not make the playoffs until 1995. From 1977 until 1994, a total of 17 seasons, the team was pretty awful
5. The team has won its division three times in 1995, 1997 and 2001
6. The team garnered a Wild Card berth in 2000, and managed to win the divisional series but then fell to the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series
7. In 1995, the first year the team made the playoffs, they also advanced to the American League Championship Series but were defeated 2-4 by the Cleveland Indians
8. In 2001, the team tied the record for most wins in the regular season at 116 (Chicago Cubs also won 116 games in 1906), but lost to the New York Yankees in the five games in the American League Championship Series
9. The city where the team is located also has a NFL football team that joined the NFL in 1976 and won its first Super Bowl in 2013
10. The team that has never played in the World Series last made the playoffs in 2001. The team is the current record holder for the longest playoff drought in all of the four major professional sports leagues in the United States
What is the Only Major League Baseball Team to Not Make the World Series?
- Seattle Mariners
Did you guess right? The only team in the major leagues that has yet to make it to the World Series is the Seattle Mariners.
The Mariners joined the major leagues as an expansion team in 1977. The team played home games in the Kingdome from 1977 until 1999, and has played in T-Mobile Park (formerly known as Safeco Field) since the 1999 season.
Despite having Hall of Fame players like Ken Griffey, Jr., Randy Johnson and Edgar Martinez, the Seattle Mariners have never been to the World Series.
The Mariners best shot was in 2001 when they tied the record for most wins in a season at 116, but the New York Yankees were dominating baseball back then and beat the Mariners in the American League Championship Series.
Despite never making it to the World Series, the city of Seattle has shown pretty good support for the Mariners. The team set its attendance record in 2002, the year after it won 116 games, at 3.544 million. In both 2001 (3.51 million attendance) and 2002 the Seattle Mariners led not just the American League but all the teams in major league baseball in attendance.
How long will it be before the Seattle Mariners make it to the World Series?