How to Get a Good Night's Rest with CBD
If you find yourself lying wide awake without being able to sleep, there are quite a few techniques that can be immensely helpful. Keep reading to find out why that is and learn a few useful tips for how to stay asleep all night.
What Are Some of the Reasons You Can't Stay Asleep?
You may be having trouble unwinding for the following reasons:
- A disruptive environment: Your bedroom needs to be your sleep sanctuary. It should only be used for sleeping or bedroom-related activities and should be dark, cool, and quiet when you're ready to fall into a deep slumber. Soothing music or white noise might be helpful if the silence feels uncomfortable.
- An unhealthy lifestyle: Things like your diet, smoking and drinking habits, and exercise regimen can all have an effect on the quality of your sleep. By eating healthfully, smoking and drinking less, and exercising more often, you can improve your sleep along with your overall wellness.
- Discomfort: Muscle soreness can make basically any sleeping position uncomfortable no matter how tired you are. As a result, it can wake you up even if you thought you had finally found some comfort. To help, you can try our Active Sport Pain Relief Ointment from CBDMEDIC™.
- Sleep conditions: If you have trouble falling into a deep slumber, you may be struggling with a clinical sleep condition. You'll likely want to speak to a doctor to learn more.
How to Fall Asleep and Stay Asleep All Night
Now that you know what may be causing you to wake up in the middle of the night, let's go over some of the best things to do to help you actually get a good night's sleep.
Practice controlled breathing: Slow, controlled, and deliberate breathing is one of the best ways to calm your mind and relieve stress. You might want to try the 4-7-8 breathing method.
This method requires you to hold your tongue against the bottom of your top two teeth while breathing in through your nose for 4 seconds, holding for 7 seconds, and then exhaling through your mouth and past your tongue for 8 seconds (this should make a whooshing sound).
- Meditate: Meditating and controlled breathing go hand in hand. In fact, meditation is basically just an extension of controlled breathing with the addition of "a non-judgmental focus on the present moment." Meditation promotes sleep by forcing you to focus on the here and now.
- Practice visualizing soothing situations: Another great way to get back to sleep quickly is to close your eyes and direct a movie in your mind centered around something peaceful.
Imagining an empty, white-sand beach with gently crashing waves or a trickling stream in the middle of a misty forest can help you unwind. Combining your visualizations with ambient noise or guided sleepcasts can also be an enormously effective way to get yourself to fall into dreamland for the entire night.
- Read a book: Swapping your phone, tablet, or TV for a book can help you avoid blue light, which can interfere with your sleep, and relax your body until you gradually drift off.
- Try CBD: CBD products help you enjoy a good night's rest while also reducing exercise-induced inflammation that can lead to uncomfortable muscle soreness. CBD has also been shown to provide a sense of calm for focus. Keep reading to learn more about how CBD may be able to help you get unwind if you are having trouble getting to sleep.
How Can CBD Help Improve Your Sleep Cycles?
CBD has been shown to help improve sleep cycles by:
"The preliminary research suggests CBD can help with a number of sleep disorders, including insomnia22 REM sleep behavior disorder23, and excessive daytime sleepiness disorder24. Additional preliminary research suggests CBD can also help patients improve sleep and reduce anxiety."
—Danielle Pacheco (medically reviewed by Dr. Abhinav Singh (Sleep Physician)
If you suffer from insomnia and are looking for an alternative solution, CBD can be extremely helpful. In case you are wondering, it cannot make you high, and it has very few side effects—Mainly dizziness and drowsiness.