Recap of my 2019 Q4 Goals
the main and monthly goals I wanted to do that quarter
I plan my year out in quarters (s/o to Laura Vanderkam). I set the main goal I want to accomplish in the categories of Work, Relationships, and Self for each quarter.
Each month I devise 20-30 goals that support the main goals and other fun things (s/o to ettawritesnstudies).
If you’ve completed half of them or half plus a margin of 1-4, CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WON!
Completing too many goals above half? Your goals were too easy. Didn't hit half of your goals? Your goals were too unrealistic. This rule acts as a barometer for how well you are setting goals.
Bonus points: Share your monthly goals in a GDoc/email thread with friends for accountability and seeing what people are up to.
The Main Goals for 2019 Q4
- Work: Look into making a career pivot - DONE. This went really well!
- Relationships: Watch Die Hard and go to a Die Hard musical event with a group of friends - DONE! This was really fun.
- Self: Get a tattoo - DONE. I've had this design in mind since I was 11 years old so I'm glad I finally got it done.
October Monthly Goals
13 out of 30: 43% - failed
- Make rice krispies treats - Note: Ended up giving ingredients to a friend to make in December
- Make two eco-friendly swaps - DONE #1. Swapped out my plastic toothbrush for a bamboo toothbrush and body wash for body soap.
- Go to the doctor - DONE #2
- Five yoga classes this month
- Beat mile time
- Recycle/donate/sell clothing I no longer wear (of one category)
- Decide how to promote newsletter - Note: We ended up killing the newsletter later on
- Decide if I want to continue freelancing - DONE #3.
- Put in 6 applications - DONE #4
- Apply for a new card
- Mail family birthday packages - DONE #5
- Check my spending for the past month and get rid of unused subscriptions - DONE #6
- Read 6 books
- Do a corn maze
- Call doctor and change pharmacy address + set up an appointment - DONE #7
- Write a post about 50 recipes I made
- Go to a Meetup solo - Note: I went to a Meetup but not solo, oh well.
- Draft tattoo design
- Go to a girls' night out - DONE #8. Went to a taco festival then did dinner and a movie together
- Re-establish waking up early
- Sleep before midnight at least 3x/week
- Trade books with a bookstore - Note: Ended up doing this the first day of November ...
- Try cooking with meat 1x - DONE #9. Cooked with meat 2x.
- Meal plan and cook for all lunches and dinners eaten solo - DONE #10. This is the goal I'm most impressed with myself about.
- Reach out to 3 former coworkers - DONE #11
- Look at apartment decor
- Get boba and take a walk with a friend - DONE #12
- Update 5-year journal
- Organize a murder mystery dinner party meetup
- Watch a classic horror movie - DONE #13. I didn't watch a "classic" but I watched a lot of horror movies so I'm counting it.
November Monthly Goals
15 out of 26: 58% - won!
- Edit NaNoWriMo novel
- Take a class (improv? cooking? dancing? sewing?)
- Ask about medical history - DONE #1
- Read 9 books
- Get bangs/frizz serum/oil - DONE #2. Note: Had decided on a product to use but ended up just leaving my poor hair alone
- Reach out to 3 tattoo artists + get tattoo sketched out - DONE #3! I only reached out to one on a friend's recommendation but was pleased.
- Try waxing - DONE #4. My pain tolerance is better than I thought - also lasts way longer
- Give away stuff won't use + sell books - DONE #5. Didn't end up giving stuff away but did sell books
- Get a tattoo - DONE #6!!
- Get another mesh bag - DONE #7. Useful for laundry
- Put in 7+ applications - DONE #8. Way exceeded this goal.
- Buy black ballet flats - Note: found a pair stashed away so wore those but they ended up dying in Jan '20 so I still need to replace
- Sell & buy clothes
- Catch up on 5-year journal
- Try archery - Note: was going to do in December but that didn't end up panning out
- Hang out with a friend before she leaves the country - DONE #9
- Hang out with a friend before he leaves state - Note: he left before we could plan anything
- Try Thayers toner - DONE #10. Bought it still need to trial it
- Set up a 2nd blog - DONE #11. Note: Although, ended up killing it for this page
- Don't buy crackers/chips/cereal/sweets + get rid of currently in house - DONE #12
- Hang out with two friends haven't seen in a bit
- Settle bloodwork & eye doctor - DONE #13
- Make a gym bag - DONE #14
- Take 3 yoga classes
- Beat mile time
- Replace card - DONE #15
December Monthly Goals
15 out of 30: 50% - won!
- Beat mile time - Note: ended up getting sick
- Run a fun 5k - Note: skipped since would be registering late
- Smooth out & brighten skin - DONE #1. Note: love the toner but still want to experiment with a different cleanser
- Do a better job of protecting skin with sunscreen - DONE #2
- Take 3 workout classes
- Take a sewing class
- Get a HTML/CSS certificate
- Read 3 books and grade Goodreads EOY
- Revisit 3 places been to before - Note: 1 out of 3
- Watch Die Hard and go to Die Hard musical - DONE #3!
- Make food or go to a restaurant we saw on IG with a friend
- Reach out to 3 former coworkers - DONE #4
- Finish tattoo
- Prep for the holiday party - DONE #5
- Update 5-year journal
- Buy & sell & recycle clothes
- Establish a habit
- Do Duolingo for Chinese - DONE #6. Note: Have significantly dropped off since then
- Figure out if want to continue a thing - DONE #7
- Do 2-3 outings with H. - DONE #8
- Make fruit & water daily habit
- Do a sappy montage for the friend who moved overseas - DONE #9
- Give 5 gifts/notes - DONE #10
- Get traction on overseas travel plans - Note: moved to another year
- Try a sleeping mask
- Log a food diary for a month - DONE #11
- Put in 6 applications - DONE #12.
- Re-establish morning routine - DONE #13
- Get an oil change and re-up car insurance - DONE #14
- Check lease - DONE #15
What were some of your goals from 2019 Q4? How did they go?
Let me know what they were! Please feel free to tweet them to me.