Harnessing the Energy of Imbolc
Time to clear out, and plant seeds of new beginnings. Spring is coming!
Imbolc. February 1st. Half way between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox. One of the four Celtic Fire Festivals, marking mid-winter, also known as Oimealg, Snowdrop Festival, Feast of the Waxing Light, Brighid's Day and more. It's a great time to tap into and welcome the fresh energy of the Earth’s cycle. I love this time of year.
This seasonal change is one of purification after the shut-in life of Winter, celebrating the first signs of Spring and the return of the sun. It’s the festival of the Maiden, for from this day to March 21st, it is her season to prepare for growth and renewal. The earth gets a little warmer, the sun a little brighter and we know that life is quickening within the soil. Imbolc is also a festival of light and of fertility, once marked in Europe with huge blazes, torches, and fire in every form. Fire here represents our own illumination and inspiration as much as light and warmth.
Straw Brideo'gas (corn dollies) are created from oat or wheat straw and placed in baskets with white flower bedding, Brighid's Crosses are fashioned from wheat stalks and exchanged as symbols of protection and prosperity in the coming year. Home hearth fires are put out and re-lit, and a besom is placed by the front door to symbolize sweeping out the old and welcoming the new. Candles are lit and placed in each room of the house to honor the re-birth of the Sun.
For us, it is a time to consciously clear out anything we don't want to take forward. Spring cleaning happens around this time for a reason, it was originally a nature ritual. We all have habits, behavioral patterns, some favourite hoards, emotional and material that keep us stuck. After the fresh slate of a New Year, Imbolc is the perfect opportunity to pause, tune in, see where we're at and realign while the Earth's energy is in our favour. It feels good to look to the future taking a deeper breath, a more grounded stance and with fresher eyes that bring a clarity and flow to our outer and inner space. Time for a little sweeping out and welcoming in.
This can be done in numerous ways, from Spring cleaning your home to clearing the mind and heart to allow inspiration to enter for the new cycle. It's a good time for planting new seeds, making plans & goals. Nothing in life is static, everything is always in motion, but our environment can become stale, affecting how we feel daily. Starting with the home is a great way to get the good vibes flowing.
Here are some of my favourite Imbolc activities.
First thing in the morning, put on your happy playlist and partake joyously in the following:
- Make fresh lemon and ginger tea and sup as you....
- Open all the windows to let fresh air circulate.
- Light candles. Fire is a great transformer. The element of purification and creation.
- Burn sage or incense. (I take the sage into every corner and around each door of my home, releasing all stale energy and allowing it to exit through the open windows)
- Wipe the countertops with essential oils. This is something I do daily, but I do get a little "extra" on Sabbats. The citrus family members are incredible immune and mood-boosters. I like orange and grapefruit. Don't have any? Cut a lemon or orange in half and take it over the surfaces and window sills.
- Sweep and sing and dance and sweep and dance and sing louder. Yup! Don't just sweep (or vacuum) like it's a mundane chore, you are bringing that energy into your space! Don't view it as cleaning, but as CLEANSING! Cleansing has much more vibrancy to it. Go on, say it! I am cleansing my home. That's HOT! You are powerfully ejecting stale energies from your sacred space and setting the tone for how you wish to proceed.
- Wipe the floors. An essential oil mix is great for this too.
- Clean the windows. Use simple vinegar and water. Get basic and sexy. Don't clog your environment (not to mention airways and bloodstream) with nasty chemicals.
- Declutter. Get serious about it. We breathe much more deeply and walk with more spring in our step when the space we occupy has less stuff.
- Rearrange. Having a move around of furniture will shift stale energy in the home. If you can, have the head-end of your bed pointing East, or North if not, it will bring better slumber.
- Combine water and a little essential oil (or boil up some fruit and water and pour the cooled liquid into a spray bottle) and spritz your home with it.
- Wash your fine self. Make it feel good! Get some baking soda on your face and salt, coffee or sugar on your body. Mix them with a little oil (coconut or olive will do if you don't have almond, jojoba etc) and you're good to go.
- When you shower, imagine the water running all through you, cleansing out your inner pipes from the head down and taking anything stifling you down the drain with it. Consciously release what you know you need to.
- When you walk back into your fresh physical environment, breathe deeply. Draw it in and exhale your intentions for your home into the space.
- Meditate. You only need 5 minutes. You have them. If you decide you have and that you are worth the time.
Sit on a chair or the floor, close your eyes, relax your hands on your lap and simply breathe. Take a few normal breaths noticing the rise and fall of your ribs and chest, letting the shoulders relax, softening your jaw and forehead. Feel a deep wave of relaxation over your whole body and empty any lingering niggles along with your breath. Take a deep inhale and release their traces deliberately with a firm exhale through the mouth. Smile. Feel your clean and sexy internal space filled with potential.
Now repeat a few simple affirmations or visualise what you want to bring in. You can do both. You can also write what you want down, give your desires vitality. This is the time of creativity, new ideas, goals, inspiration, awaking dormant energy, rebirth, injecting new life and planting seeds. Connecting with the magick of life.
"I am present. I am powerful. I release, with gratitude all that it's time to leave behind and take the wonderful lessons forward with me. I draw in clean, fresh energy and exhale vitality into my home, my relationships, my projects and my life. I find inspiration and clarity each day, connected to and guided by my own intuition and I welcome in all new experiences with an humble heart and open mind. Thank you for this new cycle. Blessings to all."
- Strut on into the day feeling hot, sassy and vibing high!
Thanks for reading. Happy Imbolc. Have a great weekend!
About the author
Wanderer with many passions who can't pick one to fully pursue, so dabbles in them all.
Actress, singer, presenter, author, speaker, coach.
Plant-powered nature junkie, rambler, seeker, lover & sharer of all things Magickal