Criminal logo

Leah Croucher Mysteriously Disappeared On Her Way To Work And 3 Years Later They Found Her Remains In A House


By Based On a True StoryPublished 3 months ago 4 min read

In 2019, Leah Croucher was a 19-year-old girl who lived in Milton Keynes, England.

The young woman had a brother named Hayden and a sister named Jade and the 3 were very close.

Leah with her father and siblings

Everyone describes her as a very familiar, affectionate and sensitive person. Leah didn’t like to go out on party nights, and she enjoyed staying at home reading and writing her own books.

On February 14, 2019, Leah arrived at her house after work, changed her clothes and at 6 p.m. she told her mother that she was going to a friend’s house.

At 7:15 pm she returned home and when her mother asked her if her friend was okay, she answered with a simple “yes. It is important to mention that his behavior during that night was described as normal.

On February 15, Leah left at 8 a.m. to go to work, going the usual route.

The young woman who was wearing a gray sweatshirt and black coat was caught at 8:13 a.m. by the cameras of a closed circuit while walking along Buzzacott Lane in Furzton.

From there her track was lost and that morning she didn’t show up for work and in the afternoon she didn’t return home either. Because of this, her parents reported her disappearance to the police.

A few days later, three different witnesses told the authorities that on February 15 between 9:30 and 11:15 in the morning they had seen a young woman walking through Lake Furzton that coincided with Leah’s description.

According to everyone, she was visibly annoyed and cried while talking on the phone. Even so, the police have never been able to confirm if it was Leah.

The police worked tirelessly to find the young woman: they made calls for information, used drones and helicopters for the search and even visited more than 4,000 houses in case anyone remembered seeing something.

In addition, the divers searched inside Lake Furzton, but they did not find any clues.

On the other hand, the Croucher family and friends placed hundreds of posters with Leah’s photo on the light poles and also hung giant banners on the bridges.

On October 9, 2019, the police received a warning from a woman who remembered that while she was walking near the Blue Lagoon in Bletchley, she saw a gray hoodie with the words “Stewartby” on her back hanging from a tree near the lake that matched the one Leah was wearing.

Because of this, the police initiated an important search in this other lake and took track dogs in the surrounding forest. The search lasted 10 days, however, they did not find anything significant.

Leah’s parents revealed that months ago they began to notice changes in the young woman’s behavior. Suddenly she became rebellious and didn’t stop arguing with them, something they blamed on her age.

During the investigation, the agents found out that this behavior could be related to a secret she kept, and that is that Leah was dating a 27-year-old married man. This relationship began in the summer of 2018 and coincided with her change of attitude.

This man was investigated by the police but was ruled out as a suspect when they confirmed that he had a solid alibyi for the time of the disappearance.

Even so, Leah’s family believes that he has key information about his daughter’s disappearance.

The police were also able to find out that when Leah said she was going to a friend’s house on February 14, it wasn’t really like that. In fact, as soon as she went out the door disconnected the configuration of her mobile phone so that it was not located. It has never been possible to know where those 75 minutes she spent outside his house was.

Since his disappearance, her phone has remained off and his bank account has not shown movements either.

On November 16, 2019, the tragedy was once again basted by the Croucher family. Hayden, Leah’s brother, took his own life when he was only 24 years old. Before this he had told his therapist that it was very difficult for him to cope with what happened, since the two were very close.

Found Leah:

Finally, in October 2022, Leah’s remains were found in the attic of a house in Furzton, which was on her way to work. It is believed that he was there all that time and it was discovered that the cause of death was “inconclusive.”

The police began to search the property after receiving a tip from a member of the public.

The officers had visited the house on two previous occasions, but insisted that this was the first time that Ms. Croucher’s disappearance was linked to the address, despite making about 4,000 house-to-house calls.

Days after the tragic discovery, the police named the handyman and convicted sex offender Neil Maxwell as the main suspect in his murder investigation.

But there was no arrest or trial, since Maxwell had taken his life in April 2019, two months after Leah disappeared.

Immediately after he was found suspicious, the national press requested to see the public record of the investigation into his death, wondering if it would provide any vital clues to connect him with Leah. Details that have not been revealed.

Since then, it has emerged that Maxwell was the only person with the keys to the house, who was unoccupied when the police were carrying out their investigations.

On March 3, the Croucher family was able to bury the young woman. Many people came to the place to show their respects in tears and also to deliver flowers or balloons in the shape of a heart that said “fly high” and “reach the sky.”

The parents said that this would be an opportunity for people to give their private “goodbye” to Leah while she embarked on her last trip.

Leah parents

They also wanted to thank the people of their city for the support they received during and said goodbye with the following words:

“As a family, this has brought us great comfort. The time has come to finally let our beautiful Leah rest.”

On the fifth anniversary of her disappearance, the police investigation is over, but the outcome has not been made public. It is hoped an inquest in June will bring closure.


Thank you for reading the case and subscribing ❤️


juryinvestigationincarcerationguiltycapital punishment

About the Creator

Based On a True Story

Hi everyone! My name is Marta and every week I write about true crime, always with an educational purpose.

Enjoyed the story?
Support the Creator.

Subscribe for free to receive all their stories in your feed. You could also pledge your support or give them a one-off tip, letting them know you appreciate their work.

Subscribe For FreePledge Your Support

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights


There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

    Based On a True StoryWritten by Based On a True Story

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2024 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.